Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Headphones Are Like Sim Racing Wheels

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

I recently bought the (wired) Razer Kraken Pro V2 for $80 to replace the original Kraken's after a wire failed, and while they were quite comfortable even over my size XXL head, the sound was actually pretty muddy, and I wasn't very happy with them. The original Kraken's they replaced were MUCH clearer and a lot more crisp. So I exchanged them for (wired) Kingston HyperX Cloud II's and paid another $20...and for an outlay of $100 plus another ten for the extended warrenty, I'm pretty pleased. This Kingston set is also quite comfortable over my fat head, and the sound, IMO, is much better for only a little more money. Gaming headset, sure, so they aren't going to rival Sennheisers, but for the purpose of racing, I suspect they will be just fine (so far I've only sat in the Porsche 908, but can't drive yet because of a pedal problem--sounds fine though).

Tom's Hardware recently reviewed gaming headsets: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...sets,5499.html

... and I relied on this when paring down my selection--the Kingston HyperX Alpha Cloud they chose as "best" among the wired sets is the predecessor to these Cloud II's, and it's actually the model I was trying to exchange for...but I just took a shot with these and am happy enough with what I got.

Note: These connect either through a single 3.5mm plug (no inline volume control), or via USB with the 3.5mm plug feeding into a USB extension...which DOES sport volume control for both ears and mic.

The Cloud II is also a 7.1 headset.

I'm currently listening to "Don Gorda-Dedicado" with the volume turned down (using the YouTubeslider) absolutely as low as my mouse control will let me, and the music is quite good, IMO. Much better than the Razer Kraken's for my money.

Comes pretty much as you see with the Alpha Cloud in that Tom's Hardware link (click the "Review" tab for the details), except the inner box is now red...and you do also get a second set of earpads (with the Cloud II's that is).
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 06-11-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Marc Cohn is offline Senior Member

Latest update. I spent an hour and a half with Windows support as I was having audio cutting out in iRacing as well as TeamSpeak and YouTube wasn't playing videos properly. The problem stopped when support helped but resurfaced soon afterwards. As a last resort, I plugged in my Fiio E10K (which is sufficient but could be better for gaming) and everything was fixed. Long story short, completely disregard what I said about the Omni. Based on Sonny's advice, I got myself the cheapest possible option recommended, a Schiit DAC/headphone amp or Schitt stack
    Last edited by Marc Cohn; 06-16-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    Christopher Snow likes this.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Cohn View Post
    Latest update. I spent an hour and a half with Windows support as I was having audio cutting out in iRacing as well as TeamSpeak and YouTube wasn't playing videos properly. The problem stopped when support helped but resurfaced soon afterwards. As a last resort, I plugged in my Fiio E10K (which is sufficient but could be better for gaming) and everything was fixed. Long story short, completely disregard what I said about the Omni. Based on Sonny's advice, I got myself the cheapest possible option recommended, a Schiit DAC/headphone amp or Schitt stack
    So you bought this one then? :Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Yes sir, as well as a Wyrd USB Decrapper (that's what they actually call it) from the B-Stock list to get rid of any ground loop I may have been experiencing. My Sennheiser 6XXs should be arriving within the next couple of days, so everything might arrive just in time for me to experience audio nirvana

Latest update, I had some static issues originally with the Fulla and Wyrd until I plugged it into a USB hub instead of my computer's front USB port. Afterwards, it sounded better than ANYTHING I had ever used before. I plugged the Fiio and Omni back in for comparison, and the Omni was overly bassy in comparison without any real clear sound while the Fiio was more balanced than the Omni but rather flat as a whole. I'm sure the Wyrd helped make the sound even clearer, but having used multiple DACs/headphone amplifiers in the past, NOTHING comes close to the Schitt Stack I received in the $99 Fulla. If you want to get a headphone amp/DAC combination around the $100 pricepoint, the Fulla is it. Nothing else comes close...

Now, the original testing was with my trusty Sennheiser HD598s. My 6XXs arrived yesterday, and after plugging them in? I had an absolute eargasm - BEST headphones I've ever used in my life, PERIOD. I've used Boses, I've used Beats (yes both were used but still), nothing's even close in overall balance and clarity. If you don't mind spending around the $$, I don't think you can go any better than these headphones with a quality amp like the Fulla to drive them.

One last thing - Sonny, thank you so much for telling me all about the good Schitt
    Brette Brooks likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12