Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: A visit from Aunt Irma

ZigZag03 is offline Mark Ruggiero

Default A visit from Aunt Irma

Have survived with family and critters and house and all big old trees still standing. Will post further when power and internet restored,slated for sometime in the next 10 days. Send gasoline!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Mark Ruggiero
    DiamondDog/Red Dwarf Racing

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZag03 View Post
    Have survived with family and critters and house and all big old trees still standing. Will post further when power and internet restored,slated for sometime in the next 10 days. Send gasoline!

Man, I know the feeling. We were without power and water for ten days when Isabel hit in 2003. Speaking of gas, be wary around gas stations. Something about a lack of fuel tends to give people itchy trigger fingers and there are far too many armed nut cases trolling around looking to dish out a little local frontier justice. I'm not sure if you guys have open carry down there, but we do here in Virginia and a couple days after Isabel, you would have thought it was Dodge City around here.

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Glad to hear it Mark!!
    Things are finally starting to get back to normal around here, but then she had been downgraded to a Cat 1 storm by the time she got here.
    Last edited by Don Fryman; 09-13-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    TimCollier likes this.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

How was the storm surge for you guys?

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Dalton View Post
    How was the storm surge for you guys?
    I'm 10 miles inland and at a nice elevation so water is never a problem, plus I'm in a wooded area so the biggest problem with the wind is blowing over the trees and taking down the power lines.
    Not sure about Mark..........

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

lopsided is offline Bailey Lagstrum

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Dalton View Post
    Man, I know the feeling. We were without power and water for ten days when Isabel hit in 2003. Speaking of gas, be wary around gas stations. Something about a lack of fuel tends to give people itchy trigger fingers and there are far too many armed nut cases trolling around looking to dish out a little local frontier justice. I'm not sure if you guys have open carry down there, but we do here in Virginia and a couple days after Isabel, you would have thought it was Dodge City around here.
    For a measly Cat1 Isabel sure kicked our arse didn't she? It was awful, 90% of my old neighborhood was 3 to 4 foot under water. Tornado's ripped thru the neighborhood with downed trees everywhere. We had an electrical surge which blew all kinds of power strips and fried a few things that weren't protected.
    You just never know if you'll be the target but it is better to be inconvenienced and safe than shocked and sorry.
    So grateful Don and Mark made it through without issue.
    B

Quote Originally Posted by lopsided View Post
    For a measly Cat1 Isabel sure kicked our arse didn't she? It was awful, 90% of my old neighborhood was 3 to 4 foot under water. Tornado's ripped thru the neighborhood with downed trees everywhere. We had an electrical surge which blew all kinds of power strips and fried a few things that weren't protected.
    You just never know if you'll be the target but it is better to be inconvenienced and safe than shocked and sorry.
    So grateful Don and Mark made it through without issue.
    B
    I think it was a Cat 2 when it made land fall, but even at a Cat 1, the winds were still in the low 90's. Plus, the ground was already saturated from previous rains, leaving little solid footing for trees with shallow roots. The 9' storm surge was the biggest problem and flooding shut everything down in Hampton Roads for over a week. Even the mid-town tunnel was completely flooded. I think it took a month just to pump all the water out.

Low lying areas like Langley AFB and Norfolk Naval Base were completely under water.

Michelle and I were without water and electricity for ten days.

On the bright side, we've never eaten so well in our lives. Like gypsies, we would travel from house-to-house helping our friends clean up and every night we would empty their freezers onto the grill. I've never eaten so much steak in my life.
    TimCollier likes this.

No surge here in fort myers except briefly along the beaches. Rain flooding was the issue bad in places, fortunately not for us. We were oit of power 10 days for Charlie, 13 for Wilma, and FPL says they'll have the west coast powered up by 22nd. Alas my little pocket of paradise has been the last to get it in both previous storms, so I have no big expectations. Just hope they get the fuel rolling in soon. Don great to hear you are good. And to your point Troy I got it covered! Will update as things change. Pres T in town giving news media some slight variation in the narrative thank goodness!

TimCollier likes this.
    Mark Ruggiero

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZag03 View Post
    No surge here in fort myers except briefly along the beaches. Rain flooding was the issue bad in places, fortunately not for us. We were oit of power 10 days for Charlie, 13 for Wilma, and FPL says they'll have the west coast powered up by 22nd. Alas my little pocket of paradise has been the last to get it in both previous storms, so I have no big expectations. Just hope they get the fuel rolling in soon. Don great to hear you are good. And to your point Troy I got it covered! Will update as things change. Pres T in town giving news media some slight variation in the narrative thank goodness!

How did Irma compare to Wilma and Charlie?

I found that being without power sucks, but being without water was an inconvenience that I won't soon forget. It's funny how you take things like that for granted. The simple things, like showering and washing dishes/clothes becomes a major undertaking.

Charlie and Wilma we rode out at home, Charlie we watched the roof slowly transfer itself to the yard, shingle by shingle, while we ran around putting buckets and pots under leaks. Got a new roof out of that deal, which stood up very well this time, no damage at all. For those interested, we did the 50yr guarantee best possible shingles with double the normal amount of nails per course. Gotta say it was good advice. Wilma rattled us around, loosened a vertical in the pool cage but no other damage. Storm surge never an issue in either of those. And we could have ridden this one too, but IF we got the surge, we'd have lost both the generator and the rv, so I felt it best to get us all out of there, thinking it possible we'd need that rv if the house was clobbered. So you rolls the dice and you takes your chances. We're all good, reasonably comfortable, going broke on generator gas, and I'm back to work today. Life goes on...
    Troy Dalton likes this.
    Mark Ruggiero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast