Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Cohn
  • 1 Post By Christopher Snow

Thread: One of if not THE nicest historic sim racing wheels I've ever seen? (Lotus 79)

Marc Cohn is offline Senior Member

Default One of if not THE nicest historic sim racing wheels I've ever seen? (Lotus 79)

iRacing thread link below:
    http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...t/3610674.page

Link to image of the wheel for those that don't have iRacing forum access:
    http://www.isrtv.com/forums/uploads/...144f6ce411.JPG

Note that the steering wheel is a Grant Formula J which can be bought currently for $51.99 plus tax and shipping here:
    https://www.kartek.com/parts/grant-1...acksilver.html
    Christopher Snow likes this.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Cool. The Kart wheel looks useful too in and of itself (certainly the price is decent), so I might just grab up a couple of those for similar projects.

It wouldn't make a proper base for a Lotus 49 wheel though--that was 12" O.D" according to Doug Nye (who measured his own for me), but it might work as a base for the Williams FW07 wheel (it would need a sage-green leather wrap). Seems to me that Williams wheel was under 12" but larger than 10"....

Stumbled across this interesting link, somewhat related: The Real Deal: Stripped Down At Classic Team Lotus - Speedhunters

If you read carefully, you'll learn that the "V" brake pedal showed up for the first time on the Lotus 76. The one I saw in 2000 was fitted to a Lotus Formula Jr, and, essentially it's a brake pedal that fits down over the top of the steering shaft, with a pad on either side of it, allowing for braking with either foot. Essentially a "four pedal" footwell, if you will. That could have been fitted only tenuously into the Lotus 49--the brake pad would have been pretty narrow on the left had Chapman thought of trying it then, but probably could have fit into the Lotus 72 (as the steering shaft drops down the middle). Chapman DID fit a fourth, narrow pedal into later 49's, btw, in order to feather the high wing flat down the straight, but that was a skinny thing slapped up against the left footwell wall, not against the steering shaft.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 07-13-2018 at 08:27 AM.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Marc Cohn is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Cool. The Kart wheel looks useful too in and of itself (certainly the price is decent), so I might just grab up a couple of those for similar projects.

It wouldn't make a proper base for a Lotus 49 wheel though--that was 12" O.D" according to Doug Nye (who measured his own for me), but it might work as a base for the Williams FW07 wheel (it would need a sage-green leather wrap). Seems to me that Williams wheel was under 12" but larger than 10"....

Stumbled across this interesting link, somewhat related: The Real Deal: Stripped Down At Classic Team Lotus - Speedhunters

If you read carefully, you'll learn that the "V" brake pedal showed up for the first time on the Lotus 76. The one I saw in 2000 was fitted to a Lotus Formula Jr, and, essentially it's a brake pedal that fits down over the top of the steering shaft, with a pad on either side of it, allowing for braking with either foot. Essentially a "four pedal" footwell, if you will. That could have been fitted only tenuously into the Lotus 49--the brake pad would have been pretty narrow on the left had Chapman thought of trying it then, but probably could have fit into the Lotus 72 (as the steering shaft drops down the middle). Chapman DID fit a fourth, narrow pedal into later 49's, btw, in order to feather the high wing flat down the straight, but that was a skinny thing slapped up against the left footwell wall, not against the steering shaft.
    If you DO decide that you want a 300MM wheel rim, here's a bargain one (don't need a 70mm adapter with that) which uses a rubberized grip:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/300MM-11-7-...ing+wheel.TRS1