Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Gauging Interest - Coffee Cup League

davidan is offline David Anderson

Thanks for the interest guys, would love to hear from some more folks on this for sure to see if it would be practical to setup a few races as a test of the concept.

my personal motorsports blog

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Unfortunately, iRacing is all I play at the moment. If it is chosen as the sim of choice, then I am game. I wouldn't care what car, but the Porsche Cup car is pure ecstasy to drive.

Sorry I can't be more flexible right now, real life prevents my time to get through the learning curve of another physics engine.
    davidan likes this.

Christopher Snow is online now Senior Community Leader

Given the time of day here (US) and the timezone differences, you might even consider something like a "Coffee-Cup Time Trial" league. Perhaps running through the weekend, or over the course of two successive weekends.

I mention this, David, because I know you and others are auto-crossers. Hillclimbers might be of similar mindset too, although they favor longer runs....

It would offer a bit more flexibility, perhaps.

That said, I'm still interested in any of them, which is why I've also joined leagues (formal and informal) which run time trials or races earlier in the day on weekends. Mornings here would be great.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Here is what I am thinking for the first season/ concept of this, let me know how many of you might participate in something like this.

Sim Platform - iRacing
    Car - Porsche 991 GT3 Cup Car
    Race Morning - Saturdays
    Time 845 am CST (945 EST , 645 PST) and approximately 345 pm Euro UK
    Race Season Begins/Ends - July 7th - Sept 1st (9 events) -- top 6 will count you may drop or miss 3 races

We would run in parallel with the iRacing Official series using this car right now. This means we would all join up at the pre-determined time, and meet on discord and/or a private race team channel for CMS created with iRacing Voice chat (likely discord). You run the race, which is about 30 minutes by the way --- these are short sprint races.

the points you score in the official series are extracted and put into a CMS points table that we track here and on discord for the championship.

I might throw in a couple of small prizes, perhaps a starbucks gift card and an iRacing gift card for the winners or participants from a draw at the end of the season.

season would start next weekend at Mosport for race 1.
    chime in here if you might be interested ....

I am also of the mind to award bonus points to drivers that post pictures in discord or on the forums of them participating in the races with a porsche livery that contains cmsracing.com somewhere on the car ...

also, will highly likely track all the points tables, etc on discord in a special channel for this coffee cup league.

I might also do something where if you get put in a top split on race day you score points in pro class, lower split puts you automatically in am class points.
    something like that. I will noodle on it, but it will be really simple.
    the idea of this is to be really fun, casual and just a way for some of us to race in the mornings before a busy weekend/day starts.

and if looking good through this weekend on some interested racers I'll turn this thing official.

David
    Last edited by davidan; 06-28-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    TwoFlatTires likes this.

wheeler is offline Steen Nielsen

Sorry to see iRacing was chosen as the platform. It makes it a no go for me.
    Steen Nielsen (aka. wheeler)

Tom Walkinshaw: "When black goes to green, you are in troubles..."

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    Sorry to see iRacing was chosen as the platform. It makes it a no go for me.
    Certainly willing to consider other platforms in the future, but for first iteration I am looking for something really easy and frankly minimal effort on me to help get going and sustain and support. I am able to do that right now with all the convenience the iRacing platform offers. By all means Steen if you want to organize something of your own with another sim sooner than later I will fully support you doing so. But this makes sense for what I can offer right now on the coordination and participation front.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

I'll try and make these - if I wake up on time!
    davidan likes this.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Scott Beck is offline Rothmans Racing

iRacing? I'm out, don't have it. Don't want it. Won't buy it.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Two things:

1) Sorry to see so much trepidation regarding the platform choice. If iRacing kills everyone's interest, then maybe it might not be worth the effort David? Makes me sad...

2) Unfortunately, Puffin Racing has signed up for the Silverstone 1000 next Saturday morning (the 7th) so I likely will be preoccupied with prep for that. It also starts early... Moving forward, however, I will almost be certain to make most Saturday A.M. races.

I know it's tough to get everyone together on the same platform at the same time, but I'll support where I can DA!
    davidan likes this.

I am thinking it should be a really fun and casual way to have some funs in the morning for those of us that can best find peace and quiet around the house that time to get in some coveted simracing time. With the way I am proposing it, should require minimal effort and be chill and casual -- kind of the mindset you are in when you have a coffee on a weekend morning! Even if we have only 6-10 guys to start, it's something to build upon, so definitely interested to hear from more of you that might jump in and if we get a little bit more interest I can take some steps to formalize this and put the structure up ...

I am ignoring negative comments about iRacing right now. as I've stated, will absolutely consider other platforms in the future but this is my idea for now to get something simple and fun started. I see sunshine here, not storms
    TwoFlatTires likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast