Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 3D Modeling

WhiskeyChaser is offline Rick Smith

I just read this thread out of curiosity.

I am always truly amazed at the wealth of knowledge and know how in our community.

Wow.. fellas
    jham and Warren McGary like this.

Bill Brehm is offline Retired

Those are some very nice models Stephen, and a super nice Offy.

I've been in and out of building since I was a kid. I'm try something new in scratch building. The cars I want are not available so I have to make all the parts myself. It's taking so long to research what I'm making I resorted to the 3D printing to at least get the building part finished in a hurry. Working on a Lotus Mk 9 at the moment. That is what the engine and trans are going into.

I never did any casting until I did that trans. I'm a little disappointed that it didn't come out with real sharp edges, but it's probably my lack of experience, and the wrong material.

Mark, the engine cost $24.00 to print, but it can be done cheaper with different material. I went with a high definition acrylic plastic because I wanted to see how much detail came out. I'll probably do the head in something a little cheaper. They can do it in gold if money in no object.
    Last edited by Bill Brehm; 08-16-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    jham, Warren McGary and ZigZag03 like this.

smbrm is offline Stephen Miller

Thanks Bill.

I thought your transmission looked really good. Different scales do present different challenges. My experience with the bigger scales like 1/12 is that while lending themselves to more detail are also wanting of more detail. I prefer mostly 1/24 or1/25 & 1/20. I too have been a builder for many years, but more into competitive modelling since 1987. Sim racing seems to get in the way of building some times and visa versa! Sometimes I find have to stop doing one to get something done with the other! And yes, I also find research to be a big part of any modelling project. Perhaps we can exchange some techniques.

Cheers

Stephen
    Last edited by smbrm; 08-16-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    Bill Brehm likes this.

ZigZag03 is offline Mark Ruggiero

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brehm View Post
    Mark, the engine cost $24.00 to print, but it can be done cheaper with different material. I went with a high definition acrylic plastic because I wanted to see how much detail came out. I'll probably do the head in something a little cheaper. They can do it in gold if money in no object.
    C'MON!! Gold would look great!! Please keep us updated as this comes together Bill, it's very interesting...
    Mark Ruggiero
    DiamondDog/Red Dwarf Racing

Quote Originally Posted by smbrm View Post
    Thanks Bill.

I thought your transmission looked really good. Different scales do present different challenges. My experience with the bigger scales like 1/12 is that while lending themselves to more detail are also wanting of more detail. I prefer mostly 1/24 or1/25 & 1/20. I too have been a builder for many years, but more into competitive modelling since 1987. Sim racing seems to get in the way of building some times and visa versa! Sometimes I find have to stop doing one to get something done with the other! And yes, I also find research to be a big part of any modelling project. Perhaps we can exchange some techniques.

Cheers

Stephen
    You're right about larger scales wanting more detail. I sometimes get caught up in adding details that can't even be seen when scaled down. That's probably due to making the plans full scale, and adding everything you can see. I really need to stop doing that. It may explain why my favorite scratch builder builds in 1/15 scale. If you haven't been to Gerald Wingroves site you're missing out on someone very special. Home Page

Maybe I'll change my scale.

I research projects by collecting hundreds of photos, and looking for any kind of manual to get specifications on any of it. You can get a start on your drawings if you know a few key dimensions that you can relate to other parts of whatever you are making. If cheap enough I'll buy a set of gaskets (I have quite a collection. Need a Weber side draft rebuild kit? ), and just about every book I can find. I go to forums to ask those with first hand knowledge, but not before doing a lot of homework. Hard to get help if you don't know a little about the subject. I got a nice set of Lotus Mk9 chassis photos from a vintage race car restorer in Belgium. Not sure, but knowing some details about the car probably didn't hurt.

I bookmarked your site. I'll check in from time to time.
    Phil E likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brehm View Post
    You're right about larger scales wanting more detail. I sometimes get caught up in adding details that can't even be seen when scaled down. That's probably due to making the plans full scale, and adding everything you can see. I really need to stop doing that. It may explain why my favorite scratch builder builds in 1/15 scale. If you haven't been to Gerald Wingroves site you're missing out on someone very special. Home Page

Maybe I'll change my scale.

I research projects by collecting hundreds of photos, and looking for any kind of manual to get specifications on any of it. You can get a start on your drawings if you know a few key dimensions that you can relate to other parts of whatever you are making. If cheap enough I'll buy a set of gaskets (I have quite a collection. Need a Weber side draft rebuild kit? ), and just about every book I can find. I go to forums to ask those with first hand knowledge, but not before doing a lot of homework. Hard to get help if you don't know a little about the subject. I got a nice set of Lotus Mk9 chassis photos from a vintage race car restorer in Belgium. Not sure, but knowing some details about the car probably didn't hurt.

I bookmarked your site. I'll check in from time to time.

I am familiar with Gerald Wingrove.

Like you I also spend a lot of time on research. Over half of the time spent on a project can be the research. I concur that there are many ways to source important detailing information. The Enzo GTS that I referred to previously was the only project I ever did an accurate time track on: 900 hours including the research time. The research part is fun and led me to publish a popular series of engine detailing profiles for model builders. Feel free to visit the website as you wish, unfortunately I do not generate enough to prompt updates on a very regular basis, but from time to time a new project will grace the site.

For the type of modelling that you are doing, you might want to consider attending a GSL Convention/Contest. It is a great place to experience awesome model car building including work of Wingrove quality. The convention is a great place to meet other highly skilled modellers and attend useful and interesting seminars. A very worthwhile experience for a dedicated builder to attend at least once, even if you don't enter.

GSL XXVI | A Thirty-Six Year Tradition of Excellence!

Cheers

Stephen

These are the last parts I'll be printing for awhile.

CC 4 parts complete v1 v1.jpg

I spent a lot of time with the Coventry script, and Badge on the valve cover. There is probably 0% chance it will print properly, but I had to try.

I hope some will try 3D printing for your next modeling project. I'm not a young guy so if I can learn a 3D drawing program anyone can. I should mention that I gave up on making the bodies with this. Those that can, I take my hat off to you, your tenacity must be legendary.

That looks great Bill. Good luck with the printing.

I just resubscribed to Fusion 360 as a hobbyist today, and thought if there are any new modelers here you might be interest. It's very high quality software, easy to use, and a crap load of fun using it. Best of all, if you are a hobbyist or make less than $100K in a small business, it's still FREE!. https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...hers-educators It was good when I first started using it, and it's even better now.

There is other free 3D software available, I've tried some, or at least tried to try some, and they are not nearly as easy to learn. Fusion 360 also has a great many tutorials, and a good responsive community for support.

You can have your models made at 'Shapeways' https://www.shapeways.com/ for a modest cost depending on the material used. I usually make a very high detailed model, and then copy it in resin.

If anyone does go with this I recommend that you plod through every tutorial they have. There are so many tools to use, and creative ways to use them that no number of tutorials can cover it all.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Bill Brehm; 06-10-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    “Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning how to dance in the rain.”

faspit is offline Frank Speer

i'm am old Autocad user from version 3.16... lol.
    I use DraftSight (solidworks 2D), to make my base sketch, then import it into Fusion 360 to make my 3D models. The advantage of Fusion 360 is it will output your model for your 3D printer slicer to convert it to your 3D printer.
    I designed a complete cut and stacking station using Fusion 360, took me longer to get the feel for it than to make my design.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast