Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Sportscar Trophy - Watkins Glen Post Race

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Default Sportscar Trophy - Watkins Glen Post Race

Last edited by Z_Stig; 05-17-2018 at 12:15 AM.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

davidan is offline David Anderson

I had a really solid night going with a realistic shot at a podium in the 2nd race, and then I had a wheel malfunction and put it hard into the wall. Hope it didn't screw anyone else up when I had the problem. fun stuff.
    TimCollier likes this.

my personal motorsports blog

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Quote Originally Posted by davidan View Post
    I had a really solid night going with a realistic shot at a podium in the 2nd race, and then I had a wheel malfunction and put it hard into the wall. Hope it didn't screw anyone else up when I had the problem. fun stuff.
    That sucks DA. This series is setting up to be really fun!
    TimCollier likes this.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

JJ Addison is offline Community Leader

Well thanks to all that put this series together. Even though I was as last as last could get in race one I did have a heck of a race back there with F. Macintosh. Just could not get anything out of that Audi. I would gain a bit on Mac but then the LMP's would come flying bye and finally they messed Mac up it looked like and he went off into the barrier.

Not the biggest fan with those LMP's on track they are so dam fast I cant even see them and I have the spotter software and a track map going. They are just bam! right there. I will say those driving the LMP's did great lapping us back there but still it really took away from that back marker fight. Lapped twice in 15 min. is tough. How many times will they come by in a 45 min. race? May have to re think that GTE if I cant get this GT3 to move along faster...lol

Aside from that I didnt make the main race cuz I noticed all disconnecting so I figured we had go out and reset but I never saw the race come back up in the hosted list? What is the sequence of events that takes place between the race 1&2 ?
    Racing From The Darkside!

arandomnoob is offline Paul Darling

Q: Holy cow I donít think many LMP1s got a clean lap. The traffic was very busy. I would prefer if prototypes could have a solo qualifying.

Qualifying Race: Not sure what happened to Humberto, but it was a good fight between Victor and I. Unfortunate contact on the last lap, but still a good first race. The different energy usages make for a very interesting fight. Lots of fun.

Race: Victor and I got out front again after a hectic start. I couldnít make a move and we got separated in traffic. I finally got close again with 20 minutes left and I overshot the braking into the toe of the boot. Had to pit and use my fast repair. Then of course I binned it in the same corner 10 minutes later. Classic.

Too bad Justin wasnít able to make it, I think it would have been a very interesting race.

That was some of the most intense iRacing Iíve ever done, with the high speeds and GT traffic. I thought the traffic was good, and I had no incidents in either race.
    Iím curious how the GT drivers thought the traffic was.
    Last edited by arandomnoob; 05-17-2018 at 07:00 AM.
    ~Paul Darling
    CMS iRacing League #155

arandomnoob is offline Paul Darling

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Addison View Post
    Aside from that I didnt make the main race cuz I noticed all disconnecting so I figured we had go out and reset but I never saw the race come back up in the hosted list? What is the sequence of events that takes place between the race 1&2 ?
    The second session appeared around 10 minutes after the first one ended. It shows up in the same spot as the first race did, at the very top of the screen under hosted sessions. It just took a while for the session to appear under hosted sessions.
    ~Paul Darling
    CMS iRacing League #155

Ken Rodriguez is offline Junior Member

Had a really good time last night. Iím never really any good at qualifying and the track was so busy that I couldnít get a clean lap in. Please Admins, letís go back to the previous way of qualifying where each class gets an allotted amount of time on track to qualify.

Driving the GTE class:
    The qualifying race was pretty uneventful as I started sixth and finished fifth due to an attrition on track.

The main race was a lot of fun with the inverted field. Was running in P2 for a few laps there behind Trampas before the fast guys caught us . Then i had a braking zone moment along side Lundy where I lost two spots and ended up running fourth.

The time for pit strategies was fast approaching and I noticed drivers making early pit stops however they were not being held up by slower drivers so I thought to myself thatís not the right strategy for this track. Was racing with Ricky running P1 & P2 while others were pitting. I stood out till the very last drop of petrol. Was in and out quick enough to garner P3 again behind Ricky with about 7 minutes of racing and Mr. Hume a comfortable 14 seconds behind. Just followed Ricky around the track and pushed as much as I dared on well worn tires. In the end, Ricky had slightly better pace and I had nothing for him.

My very first podium here at CMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iRacingDude is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rodriguez View Post
    I noticed drivers making early pit stops.
    I stopped early because I was having trouble getting my stream started. I forgot to add fuel to my setup.

John

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

It's good to be back on track with you guys. I was able to drive the same way around the "new" faces I haven't seen before as I do around the guys I've been racing with for years now so that was a good feeling. I think the level of respect matches the level of bravado and that's really great. Thanks to everyone for making it out and making the season opener a success.

Firstly congrats to the podiums of both races. Well earned!

Overall a clean and predictable race. Both P1's and GT3s were easily navigable and everyone gave plenty of room and was heads up.

Q: Hadn't beaten Jason's fast time all week, so a P2 start was just fine with me. (Plus if anyone messed up the start it would be him ).

R1: Sat behind Jason for about 4 laps and made a comment over the radio that the pace was good for me to draft with, thinking we might be able to pull a gap on Ricky... Not so much. I made a mistake in T1 and lost Jason's draft, never to get it back, but luckily I was able to keep pace with him sans draft. Ricky got two really good runs on me coming out of the esses, but a couple defensive lines and I was able to stave off a pass to hold onto 2nd place for the Puffin 1, 2 GTE podium. Great drive Ricky! I was in my mirrors all race.

R2: Decided to go 1/2 fuel to start and short pit to try and get out of the regular pit cycle in case traffic was an issue. I was trailing Trampas and Jason when something happened with TJ and he lost it in the wall. Sorry it ended that way man, you looked good for not having driven on asphalt for a year. Fast forward to the pit cycle and I was in and out in good position for another 2nd place (or even a class win!) until about 15 left in the race. An LMP1 decided I shouldn't use the bus stop on a particular lap so I had to dodge, and saved it, but ended up spinning into the chute on melted rubber just a few seconds later. Lost 24 seconds that lap. Finished 12 seconds behind 2nd place... Lesson learned, you can't afford to get in your own head for even a second - Regardless of the circumstance.

Tough pill to swallow, but overall it was a great race. If this keeps up the season is going to come down to the wire in GTE.

Side noteS:

ē I remember being in front of Sam Scott at one point and then seeing him spinning to avoid me. I'm hoping I didn't do anything to cause that, Sam, and looking forward to racing you next week. Good to see you again.

ē In race two I was behind Mark for a few laps and was impressed in your ability to defend your line until you just ran off. It looked like a disconnect, and if so, what a bummer man. Great drive while it lasted!

Miguel Alcrudo is offline Senior Community Leader

Sorry guys I couldnt make it but hopefully will be there for next round! It looks like it was lots of fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast