Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Sportscar Trophy - Road Atlanta Post Race

blackcat77 is offline Paul Hamilton

Last night was the first time in a couple years I'd raced a GT3 in CMS. My experience with them before was nothing short of catastrophic culminating in the race at Motegi where I set a PB in qual that was still the slowest in the field by over a second. Milka Duno could have lapped me back then...

But then I spent some time in the GTC Porsche, a car which demands proper driving and it dragged up my game. I've also been driving GT3s a lot in practices, but in the Ferrari. I'm still no better than mid-pack in a lower tier pickup race, but at least I'm not totally embarrassing myself any more. Unfortunately, the Ferrari isn't available in our series so I had to jump back into the Audi, which is a really quick car in the hands of a proper driver. Unfortunately, that ain't me...

But I got in quite a bit of practice and worked with a VRS setting to make a little more forgiving of the mistakes I still make - "Stop sliding around, dammit!" - and ended up somewhere in the middle of the pack. I can live with that.

As John reported, the class leader put way too much space between us and the GTEs at the start (IMHO), and on lap 2 or 3 the protos were already on us. The first couple times were a shock, but as long as they aren't all together like the first time, it's not so bad. Not really much to tell about the race - the first three cars pulled away about a second a lap and I put some space between me and the rest of the field. Not very exciting, but finished fourth.

Second race I got to experience the inverted start. Again, too much space between us and the rest of the field, but at least the inversion meant the P1 leaders weren't in a lump when they caught up. The first lap was sloppy and avoiding trouble moved me to the very back. GT3s have trouble passing and I was stuck for a long time, but finally cleared P6 - who was doing a great job driving exactly as he should - and set out after the rest of the field.

Caught up with the next two cars in the chicane at the end of the back straight - the one in front had a little trouble which slowed the second and I managed to pass both of them over that blind brow. I admit I even shocked myself with that move but made it work. I was so busy mentally patting myself on the back that I overshot just a little bit into T1 and that's when I had my mandatory One Stupid Moment.

All I did was get off the gas a little more than usual in the middle of the corner, but my setup was really unstable at the back and around I went. A couple or three cars went by immediately and then I saw a clear track behind and tried to spin the car around and get going again. But the GT3s have traction control and mine was set pretty high so instead of spinning around, it bogged leaving me in the middle of the track sideways. Everyone was talented enough to avoid the idiot, but they all had to take to the grass and I couldn't tell if anybody hit the wall or not.

I am very, very sorry about that. For some reason my brake balance was a couple clicks too far back and that made the car even looser, but that's no excuse. My lack of experience in this car might have messed up several peoples' races and that will be remidied before Sebring.

Over the rest of the race I made up a couple places, but again, the top three were simply out of reach and I finished in Force India, best-of-the-rest, fourth. All in all, it wasn't bad, especially considering where I was when I drove these cars before, but there's still a lot of work to do. Congrats to the winners of both races and see you at Sebring!
    Z_Stig and TwoFlatTires like this.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Well, I got second in the race I expected to win, and won the race I expected to not win. lol

Race 1: Jimmy had been faster all week, even when I was in a draft, but I finally managed to put a lap together and sneak in to the 1:15s

Once the race I got underway, I led until the halfway point when I made a stupid mistake slid wide at the second 90 degree corner. Jimmy drove on past. To top it off, I still had my tires at their qualifying pressures so that didn't help.

Race 2: This race was definitely more exciting with TJ, Sam, Jimmy, and me all very close to each other. Unfortunately, Sam spun, I checked up, and Jimmy took advantage. And then I think both of us thought we were clear, but contact was made and Jimmy drove backwards for a bit. Only a few laps later, Paul and I had a coming together. So there we were, Jimmy back on my tail and TJ galloping away. At this point the car didn't seem too damaged but the lap time just wasn't there. I decided to pit early and take my fast repair, figuring I would come out with the track all to myself and be able push like mad. I almost lost it on pit in, getting pretty crossed up as I passed the cones, but I gathered it up and made my stop.

I took a full tank, which was way too much fuel BTW and that made me nervous about catching everyone; but I put my head down and pounded up lap after lap. My spotter kept telling me I was laying down the fastest laps in class so I began to think maybe I had a chance despite pitting so early and taking so much fuel.

Once the pit stops cycled through, I was quite surprised to have a 10 second lead. I thought the leader's shorter pit stops for less fuel would have them either right ahead or behind me; not 10 seconds behind. From there, I just cruised, managing traffic and the gap to Jimmy.

As a side note, we're going to have to think long and hard about this series if we don't get higher car counts. LMP1 was a waste with just 3 cars, and GTE was virtually the same with just 4.

Last edited by Z_Stig; 05-31-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

blackcat77 is offline Paul Hamilton

Wow, listening to the comments on that second video about my incident makes me feel even worse. Again, I apologize and the problem will not be repeated.

exSaint is offline Liam Park

I will start by saying I have a very strong love/hate relationship with the Audi. I love how rewarding it is when everything comes together; I hate how much this car hates curbs and coasting.

Every week has started the same (The Glen was a bit different because I know that track well, but it was the first time back in the car, too): first practice is a sloppy mess - have a hard time stringing together more than a few laps at a time. Second practice goes better; early fuel calculations start to show up and I can usually string together a half-tank (short race/qualy set up). Then, in the third practice I try to focus on learning when and where cars will pass - and I'm not opposed to being a guinea pig, if an LMP wants to see if they can pass through some tricky section. And somewhere in this third session I have an epiphany and it's like I find a whole new gear - suddenly by previous optimal is now my best lap. But keeping it at that new level feels very 'knife edge' for me and consistency is something I am working on (especially in this car).

Was really pleased with the practice times on race day - 5 GT3s were within 3 tenths, though I was disappointed to be on the low end of that. Qualifying went much better and I ran a near PB without a draft. I took fourth, which considering my competition, is the best I could have asked for. Unfortunately during the warm up lap, Dave's throttle stuck open (monitor failure) and I was tagged coming out of 5 and wound up on my roof. Nothing to do but take the tow. I was hopeful that I would be able to take the fast repair and catch the back of the field, but no such luck. Fun fact: the tow doesn't start until the race does, so I sat there for the rest of the pace lap before the tow started, so my race began two laps down. I was just out to grab last points, but I think I gained a position on someone, too. Damage control.

Can Am mechanics were able to replace the whole throttle assembly for Dave so I started alongside him in P2 for Race 2. Dave and I had done a good job of managing the gap between the GTE field until Turn 10, when it seemed like their race started (or they sure changed pace speed). Dave had a good start, so I had no option but to follow him through the esses. He went a bit wide on 5 (over the curbs) and opened the door for me to sneak by. I lead 4 or 5 laps before I went wide in 5 and got loose. I saved it, losing about 5 seconds, but no worse for the wear otherwise. The next few laps were Kris closing in on me before I did the same thing in front of him. This time, I wound up coming back across the track, and there was an LMP passing Kris at the same time. Both James and Kris did a tremendous job dodging me and leaving room for each other. That was my only "X" of the race. And the rest of my race was pretty uneventful, save a GTE spinning in front of me in turn 5. He probably afforded me a bit more room than I did Kris, Drew and James, but I managed to avoid him with only a minor check-up. I finished third, for my first CMS podium and to complete the Can-Am podium sweep.

Missing some of our regular drivers (especially in other classes).

Congrats to all the race winners!

Standings are updated.
    Z_Stig and TwoFlatTires like this.

RCT86 is offline Robert Tarbox

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Addison View Post
    Guys Im withdrawing from the series. Last night was too frustrating for me. I'm not good enough to be track with those LMP's. And for the life of me I can't figure out why the GT field was being held so long at the start of 1st race?? Barley got 2 laps in and the 3 LMP's were on me out of no where and of course as I was heading into 2 & 3 which was the worst section for me. All I saw was 3 cars all over me and off I went missing the brake point race over. Not there was much of a race on my end anyway. LMP's did nothing wrong just too fast.....and no fun.
    your pace doesnt matter, we were still 10 seconds faster then even the fastest GT car, the only that you need to do is run your line and we will get around you, doesnt matter if we are 10 seconds faster or 25 seconds faster, no other GT car is going to near our pace anyway, dont worry about the prototypes and have fun
    Z_Stig, TwoFlatTires and exSaint like this.
    Robert Tarbox #86
    2018 Jack of all Trades champ

RCT86 is offline Robert Tarbox

then again, it looks like it doesnt really matter, 3 LMPs last night showed up to race, such a shame because we are only 3 weeks into the season....
    Last edited by RCT86; 05-31-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    TwoFlatTires likes this.
    Robert Tarbox #86
    2018 Jack of all Trades champ

JJ Addison is offline Community Leader

As a lowly 1 car team funding is tough Truth be told I was seriously frustrated with that pace lap and allowed myself to get really bent out of shape knowing full well those LMP's were gonna be on me all three at once and sure enough. But thats my problem not theirs I know that.

Will get ready for Sebring as I rather the one race format anyway. Should be able to have better pace there. But we still have to tighten up the pace lap. Its important to be able to get into a grove and get the tires and brakes up to racing before those rockets catch up.
    Racing From The Darkside!

dlidkea is offline Drew Lidkea

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Addison View Post
    As a lowly 1 car team funding is tough Truth be told I was seriously frustrated with that pace lap and allowed myself to get really bent out of shape knowing full well those LMP's were gonna be on me all three at once and sure enough. But thats my problem not theirs I know that.

Will get ready for Sebring as I rather the one race format anyway. Should be able to have better pace there. But we still have to tighten up the pace lap. Its important to be able to get into a grove and get the tires and brakes up to racing before those rockets catch up.
    Hopefully we can get some participation in pre-race practise sessions and we can share ideas tips. During practise if we could all jump on the Discord channel we can chat more and help out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12