Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Sportscar Trophy - Road Atlanta Post Race

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Default Sportscar Trophy - Road Atlanta Post Race

Last edited by Z_Stig; 05-31-2018 at 12:24 AM.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

arandomnoob is offline Paul Darling

It’s been so long since I won a race in iRacing. I don’t count the Qualifying Races. Almost time for another giving up hiatus lol.

I didn’t get a chance to watch the replays yet; so on lap 1 I have no idea what happened.
    Sorry for wrecking you out Jason. I was planning on staying behind you, but when I saw you brake early, or at least what I thought was early, it surprised me so I of course I messed up. Not sure if the contact was before or after I spun. Then I crashed leaving the pits. So there’s that.
    ~Paul Darling
    CMS iRacing League #155

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Quote Originally Posted by arandomnoob View Post
    It’s been so long since I won a race in iRacing. I don’t count the Qualifying Races. Almost time for another giving up hiatus lol.

I didn’t get a chance to watch the replays yet; so on lap 1 I have no idea what happened.
    Sorry for wrecking you out Jason. I was planning on staying behind you, but when I saw you brake early, or at least what I thought was early, it surprised me so I of course I messed up. Not sure if the contact was before or after I spun. Then I crashed leaving the pits. So there’s that.
    I watched lap 1...looked like netcode between you guys. There was literally like a couple feet between you guys and you went flying. That sucked.

And no worries about the contact. I saw you coming and thought you may try to get past, so I tried to keep the car left. I honestly thought you were going to miss me, but oh well, stuff happens.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

JJ Addison is offline Community Leader

Guys Im withdrawing from the series. Last night was too frustrating for me. I'm not good enough to be track with those LMP's. And for the life of me I can't figure out why the GT field was being held so long at the start of 1st race?? Barley got 2 laps in and the 3 LMP's were on me out of no where and of course as I was heading into 2 & 3 which was the worst section for me. All I saw was 3 cars all over me and off I went missing the brake point race over. Not there was much of a race on my end anyway. LMP's did nothing wrong just too fast.....and no fun.
    Racing From The Darkside!

davidan is offline David Anderson

I was on a business trip, otherwise would have joined. Hope to make next time.

my personal motorsports blog

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Big apology to Paul Hamilton... I'm still not sure what happened on my end. The whole night I was able to manage speed disparity through the 90's and had zero problems with GT3 traffic. I went into that corner about 4 car lengths back and braked a little early, then realized I was still closing waaaay too fast and locked up the right front momentarily trying to get it whoa'd up. Instantly realizing I would have gone around, I had to come off the brakes a little and tapped you just hard enough to send you around. My intent was to get under you after apex and run inside of you on the second 90 to get a run on the back straight and let you pull a draft to make up any lost time... It was so perfect in my head... but my steed had other ideas.

Completely my fault man, and an example of how even those of us deemed "gifted" can screw up royally. Really sorry, again, to punt you there and I hope I didn't ruin anything for you.

Qualifying: Was okay with outside row 1, when I realized that when I think about time I screw things up (see the above apology). Towed Jason to a 15.9 and would have had to hit a personal almost-perfect lap to match it. I hit that in lap 4 of the first race, but all it did there was keep me in the race. Could have used it when it counted. Either way, with 4 car in class on the grid I wasn't too concerned...

*SIDE NOTE*: I know we have three distinct groups of classes here, and one more just signed up for LMP1, but we have to do something about attendance. Even with a solid 2nd place in the standings right now, it feels hollow & I have little motivation other than to hang out with my friends to spend precious hours every week preparing for a dismal turnout. 4 cars (even if evenly paced) is not much of a race and frankly is pretty boring.

Race 1:

Started 2nd, Jason bobbled out of the last 90 and I passed him on the straight. He pressured me for a few laps and had another mistake out of the esses and I walked with about a 1.5-2 second lead. First win in a while, and yes Paul, I count the short races. When you are in contention as little as I am, you take what you can get!!

Race 2:

Started last of 4, so settling into a rhythm early and sizing everyone up was a solid strat. I tucked in and started getting a groove until lap 4 when Sam had a bobble into T1 and spun. Jason checked up pretty hard and I saw an opening as Sam cleared across track to driver's right. It put me a nose ahead of Jason going into T3 and I thought I just completed the sneakiest pass of my career. Then *WHAM*!! I'm facing turn 3 again, but this time from the esses... DOH! The ghosts of Ricciardo and Verstappen followed us again.

Collected myself with no damage other than my pride and got going, but that was my race. Ran 3rd and 4th throughout the race, pitted early, ended up 3rd place behind Trampas after his stop and slowly closed a gap until he had an off leaving the esses (what a tricky corner in this vacuum cleaner car). Good run until then, TJ, good to see you getting back to form.

Saw there was about 12 seconds between Jason and I with about 15 minutes left. "There's still a chance!" Closed 3 seconds of a gap down to 9 seconds... Then *POOF!* had an off @ T3 costing me a slow down. Back to 12 seconds... Rinse, repeat - Did it again in the chicane 4 laps later after getting the gap back to 9.5 seconds...

With 4 minutes left and another 10 second gap staring me down I realized my night was relegated to another 2nd place finish. Woulda, shoulda, coulda - again...

I'd get excited about another Puffin podium, but considering Sam and Ken are the only other GTE drivers fielding cars now outside the team, it seems a little silly.

Take a week off and then we go to the swamp. Let's hope some others come with us.
    Last edited by TwoFlatTires; 05-31-2018 at 09:18 AM.
    Z_Stig and arandomnoob like this.

blackcat77 is offline Paul Hamilton

Hi John - I sympathize with how you feel. Last night was my first time in the GT3s at CMS in a couple of years and I made a mess of it - more on that in my race report - but I hope you'll hang in there. I agree about putting such a huge gap between classes - five seconds is more than enough, but it looked like we were trying for 30 and all that does is put the foxes among the chickens that much sooner. As for the P1s themselves, it doesn't help to worry about them. Either they make a clean pass or they don't and all obsessing with the mirrors does is cause you to mess up your own race.

That's what happened to me in the first race of the season and what I did was to run practices in the 24-Hour class on the open servers. That will give you a chance to experience getting your doors blown off several times a lap and get used to it as best you can. But we have good drivers in the P1s and I only had a couple of OMG moments last night.

Give it one more race and see if you don't feel better about things.

blackcat77 is offline Paul Hamilton

Hi Jimmy - thanks for the apology but no harm done. The car's handling was not affected and it didn't change my result. Those GTEs can stop on a dime compared to the GT3s, and by the point in the race where we had the incident, my tires were iffy and I was braking sooner. No harm, no foul...
    TwoFlatTires likes this.

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77 View Post
    Hi Jimmy - thanks for the apology but no harm done. The car's handling was not affected and it didn't change my result. Those GTEs can stop on a dime compared to the GT3s, and by the point in the race where we had the incident, my tires were iffy and I was braking sooner. No harm, no foul...
    Thanks for being gracious about it... Won't happen again from me.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast