Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Sportscar Trophy - Road America Post Race

exSaint is offline Liam Park

Road America is one my favourite tracks and I felt good coming into the event. Though I wish we'd had some more multi-class practice; would have been nice to sort out making room for an LMP in a few corners prior to the races.

And then qualifying happened. I spun on my first lap (not the warm up lap). I spun again on my next warm up lap. I finally got a clean lap in, before having another off. This was more "events" in 15 minutes than I'd had in all my practice! Ruh-roh. Deep breaths and my final laps were strong (for me) and good enough for 6th in class - decidedly behind 5th and in front of 7th.

Race 1 went well enough - there was near zero excitement for me given the lap time differences. I was able to stay relatively near the guys in front, thanks to the draft and racing incident, but I was never close enough or fast enough to mount any pressure or attack. Ran a clean race, though and that sure restored some confidence after a messy qualifying session.

I started on the third row again for Race 2 and didn't quite get the jump I'd wanted. After settling in, I was able to follow Kris through a few guys and we got on to chasing down Peter. Kris made a nice pass, which slowed them both up and I was able to fill Peter's mirrors for a few laps before faster GT3 traffic began to catch up to us from the inverted start. I dropped a wheel coming out of the carousel (something I hadn't done in all my practice) and spun it. I made gentle contact with the wall, but the car didn't like turning left, so I pit early, took the fast repair and hoped I had enough fuel to make it to the end. With a fresh car and no one around me, I focused on putting in good lap times - hopefully my spin wouldn't hurt too badly and I'd be able to gain time running clean laps with everyone else in traffic. I am not sure what happened to Peter, but a few laps later and he came out of the pits about 3 seconds behind me. It took him less than 3 laps to catch me, and he showed his nose a few times, but couldn't make a pass stick. After 15 minutes of cat-and-mousing, traffic caught up to us and I was able to slip away for most of the final laps. The last lap was close, as I had to slow up for an unrelated spin, but I managed to hold on for another top 5 in Wisconsin.

This acceleration zone is something I have to figure out. Need a way to see the leader so I can respond to him and not to the car in front of me. Starts are/were a relative strength of mine, so this is a new challenge.

dlidkea is offline Drew Lidkea

Congrats to all podiums.
    Nice to see Mr. Hudson back to his scoring ways on the team.

Couldn't find my pace, and really need to start working on practicing with lower fuel for qually and race 1.

Unfortunately I think a number of drivers assumed it is a bi-weekly schedule . Still was a ton of fun. Good dicing with Peter and trying to catch up to Liam and Kris in the second race.
    Great racing with the 2 Aliens in GT3 for race 2. Man those Mercs are fast in a straight line.

Protos were pretty patient, good track for multi class stuff.

Looking forward to next week.

Ken Rodriguez is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77 View Post
    I was losing 1.5 seconds a lap to the 4th place car in GTE. I'm not going to just drive around for the sake of driving around so I parked it after 3 laps.

I'm switching the GT3 Audi for the next race - maybe that will work out better.
    Paul,

I know how you feel man. I've been there and am still there depending on the track and crowd that is racing. Just keep at it. At my age, speed doesn't come easy and I spend several hours each week learning the car and tweaking the setup to be as fast as possible. I'm not naturally gifted like others are.

My speed and consistency come with ALOT of practice.

Best of luck in the GT3 field bud.

Ken

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rodriguez View Post
    I'm not naturally gifted like others are.
    Actually, to your point, and to Paul's...

Every driving theory or race-craft book I've read suggests that it is easy to fall into the wrong mentality and focus on the wrong things whilst on your journey to racerdom. "Natural Talent" is an illusion presented to you by "hot shoes" to make you think it's easy for them to go fast. Trust me, no one just hops in a car and is fast. It takes years of training (and more importantly staying positive (I can't stress this enough (Seriously!( )))).

Getting older means slower reflexes, and more pragmatic thought, sure. However, it comes with more experience and it becomes easier to build confidence. In my case, I stopped comparing myself to others and started comparing myself to my yesterday self. If manage to beat him then I am improving. Not only that, but I"m improving at a pace that is my own. No pressure, no bad feelings, just "Do better next time."

If any of this helps, awesome, but I understand unsolicited advice is the worst kind... That said, I'll never do the philosophy justice like Ross Bentley or Paul Gerrard can - so I'll leave you with these links to some awesome short reads (which you may or may not already own). The same principles apply to sim racing as they do real-life racing.

Ross Bentley... No intro needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Inner-Speed-S...+speed+secrets

Pike's Peak All-Star Paul Gerrard (live in Boulder, CO), driving coach, and recognized SME. On kindle for $6.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Drive...um+drive&psc=1

I understand the frustration and the desire to just compete. It's a tough emotion to deal with. Just remember: Your result isn't a reflection of your skill. Your result is a direct reflection of how many times you did or didn't lose focus of the next apex. For a reference to that, see my first post...
    TimCollier, Z_Stig and exSaint like this.

blackcat77 is offline Paul Hamilton

Thanks Ken. The sad part of it is that I've been sim racing from the absolute beginning - Indy 500 and World Circuit - and after 20 or so years, I'm still slow. At the Motegi race a couple seasons ago, I set a personal best in qualifying and was still over a second slower than anybody else. So yeah, it's an emotional challenge to keep going sometimes.

All I really ask is to have someone to race with, even if it's toward the back of the pack. But when everybody else just drives off, there's no entertainment there at all.

Practiced about 60 laps at Road Atlanta in the GT Audi yesterday and seem to be making some progress. Don't know if my times are any good - probably not - but I can drive consistently within a half-second or so of my best laps so that's a start at least.
    TimCollier and TwoFlatTires like this.

blackcat77 is offline Paul Hamilton

Nice note, Jimmy. The only response I'd make to that is that some people are just naturally good at the skills needed to be a quality racer, others are not. You fall into the former group and I fall into the latter. And that can be frustrating when you love racing - both IRL and sim - so much.

My problem is that I overdrive. Every damned turn. There have been a lot of good folks over the years who have tried to help me with that, and believe me, I appreciate it. Used to be that racing games were a lot more forgiving of bad driving but iRacing has no sympathy at all for scrubbing your way through every corner and so my results in this game especially, have been dreadful. But I am learning. On Wednesday, I finished 5th (of 20) in a Pro Mazda race at VIR in the 60+ League. That was a high-water mark for me and didn't even come about by some massive pileup letting me advance.

You have to feel the car losing momentum, or knowing when you are too late getting off the corners. And then learning from it, not just driving in circles making the same mistake every lap. Road Atlanta is a really good track to teach that lesson since there are at least three corners where you've got to get the exit right or suffer all the way down a long straight. Especially that second right-hander onto the back straight. It's so hard for me to slow down enough, but I'm making myself do it and trying to commit that to memory.

Anyway, I've got too much invested in racing to give it up, and my wife has made it clear that I'm not welcome in the living room during her TV-watching hours of an evening, so hopefully I'll find a niche somewhere...

JJ Addison is offline Community Leader

Well Paul as long as Im racing you should have me to race with in the back. The thoughts about how or what it takes to be fast in sim racing have been discussed forever it seems. I have been at this for at least 15 years I guess off and on. I started out only racing F1 for years and I spent 2 seasons 8 sec off the pace in one of the best F1 leagues at the time. And I was all......those aliens they doing something I dont know about. These days by race day Im 2-3 sec off the Pole Lap if I get the track time in. And all these years later I have decided its dedication to knowledge of the sport...yes this is a sport.

Its dedication to learning how to go fast. Its also decent equipment......For me brakes are everything in this sport. I'm normally as fast as anyone in a straight line. But when I look at the data its always right there....... brakes on entry and throttle on exit. I have driven setups from the best over the years and those setups have opened my eyes and answered a lot of questions. But in the end it all comes down to dedication to the sport. So I stopped a long time ago complaining about the fast cats and just started to enjoy the races I can get into. Some of the best racing is in the mid pack and back. And so you got me mate.
    Racing From The Darkside!

dlidkea is offline Drew Lidkea

Slow in, Fast out.
    The four hardest words to accomplish and fully understand on a consistent basis. Particularly in the heat of the moment, but so rewarding and so crucial.
    davidan, Z_Stig and TwoFlatTires like this.

DaveS is offline Dave Slee

I feel your pain Paul, I've been sim racing for over 20 years and have the same issues you have. I'll switch over to the GTE class if you need someone to race with. As you said, iRacing is way less forgiving when it comes to proper driving techniques than other sims and I obviously do not have the proper technique so I'm now content to just jump in the car and have fun.
    TwoFlatTires likes this.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

arandomnoob is offline Paul Darling

Jason, what is that spotter crew chief combination you use? Very interesting lol.

The spotter reminds me of some military games for some reason.
    ~Paul Darling
    CMS iRacing League #155

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast