Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: New iRacers' Handbook

Nice guide Jason.

One software program you didn't mention is iSpeed.

iRacing HUD and Lap Analyzer.

Get it here: iSpeed - iRacing HUD and Lap Analyzer

I run it on my 7" USB monitor while racing.

I compare laps on my main computer using Lap Analyzer.

Many people in iRacing use it and the laps of people who do use it are available in the Lap analyzer for different cars and tracks.

You can compared your laps to the fastest drivers on the track you are running that week.

Atlas is more detailed, but iSpeed is much easier to use.
    MikeyRud likes this.

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

Fantastic write-up. Great work.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McCormick View Post
    Nice guide Jason.

One software program you didn't mention is iSpeed.

iRacing HUD and Lap Analyzer.

Get it here: iSpeed - iRacing HUD and Lap Analyzer

I run it on my 7" USB monitor while racing.

I compare laps on my main computer using Lap Analyzer.

Many people in iRacing use it and the laps of people who do use it are available in the Lap analyzer for different cars and tracks.

You can compared your laps to the fastest drivers on the track you are running that week.

Atlas is more detailed, but iSpeed is much easier to use.
    Thank you Mike. iSpeed has been added to the guide.
    MikeyRud likes this.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

MikeyRud is offline Mike Ruder

wow
    what an amazing work you put into this for the community
    very cool man

Black Box note:
    Pitting can be tricky and when not wanting to take tires or something (else to change) that's where you need to make sure you figure out and map the ->
    "Toggle Selected Control"

SLI: GTX670 4GB + GTX670 2GB | LCD: Triple 1920x1080's | CPU: i7-4790 Haswell | MB: ASRock Z97 Extreme6 | PSU: Rosewill RX-750 | RAM: 16GB G.SKILL | OS: Win 7 64bit | ISP: xfinity | CTRL: G25 + Fanatec pedals

JJ Addison is online now Community Leader

Thanks a ton for this thread. And thanks for your time.
    Racing From The Darkside!

Anthony James is offline Senior Member

I want to like this, but I’m having trouble getting a handle on the whole feel. I’m going to follow the posted force feedback settings and see if that helps. Also the POV is tough for me to get use too. If I have it set to a high value, I can feel the car better, but there is too much roll bar and crap in the way to see the road with my old eyes. If I have it set low I can see the road well, but seem to loose some of that feel.

Question, how do I change the values in the “Black Box” while racing? I bound two buttons on my G27 shifter pod for brake bias increase and decrease percentage, and that works, but it doesn’t change any other values. So I would like to bind an increase value button, and a decrease value button. Then use these buttons when I select a Black Box to change a value. Also how do you navigate within the black box? Example: Pit stop Black Box shows your tires. How do I navigate between them to select or deselect changing them?

lopsided is offline Bailey Lagstrum

Anthony, Noob disclaimer... if I steer you wrong someone will come along and set us both straight.

I'm using my D-pad for that ...

Dwn = Select Next Control
    Up = Select Previous Control
    Right = Increment Selected Control
    Left = Decrement Selected Control
    Another Button = Toggle Selected Control

You must assign a button to Toggle Selected Control so you can tick/untick your boxes like: Windshield Tear Off, Begin Fueling, Each Tire You Want Changed.

If you don't want to use your keyboard you could do the same on your G27 by using your D-pad and then assign one of the 4 buttons below it to "Toggle Selected Control".
    If you wanted it on the wheel you'll need to give up 5 of the 6 buttons on your wheel. My D-pad is on the wheel so it's a little more handy.

I'm very fortunate to have a button box because I would never be able to see or remember buttons on my keyboard... I have to have labels and find a button quickly.

You could bring up your In Car Adjustments Black Box and use your D-pad to change things like: Brake Bias, Ft./Rear Rollbar, Weight Jacker etc. and forego assigning those to a button box/keyboard which would require 2 buttons each. (Inc/Dec). See this part is a little easier with a button box because instead of bringing up the In Car Adjustments, moving to the brake bias and changing it I just grab a rotary knob and spin it fore or aft to change the balance. That's a pretty nice luxury as it is very distracting for me to do it while looking at a black box and driving.

If you have 2 buttons assigned to Next and Previous Black Box then at least you can rotate thru all of the available Black Boxes even if you don't have each box mapped to separate buttons.
    I have done that before, but the Black Boxes I actually use the most while racing are... Relative & Lap Timing.

I'm not sure I have a good grasp on the features of pitting yet. Like... do they always change tires and add fuel UNLESS we untick the box?

As we race other cars I'm sure they will have different or more features available so personally I'm still trying to be creative with my button box assignments. It's harder than it seems because when you go from one sim to another you may need more features and not use others already on the box.
    Anthony James likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony James View Post
    I want to like this, but I’m having trouble getting a handle on the whole feel. I’m going to follow the posted force feedback settings and see if that helps. Also the POV is tough for me to get use too. If I have it set to a high value, I can feel the car better, but there is too much roll bar and crap in the way to see the road with my old eyes. If I have it set low I can see the road well, but seem to loose some of that feel.

Question, how do I change the values in the “Black Box” while racing? I bound two buttons on my G27 shifter pod for brake bias increase and decrease percentage, and that works, but it doesn’t change any other values. So I would like to bind an increase value button, and a decrease value button. Then use these buttons when I select a Black Box to change a value. Also how do you navigate within the black box? Example: Pit stop Black Box shows your tires. How do I navigate between them to select or deselect changing them?
    Under the 'Controls' tab, you'll find the 'Black Box Controls'

'Select Next Control' and 'Select Previous Control' are what you use to navigate within the black box. 'Increment Selected Control', 'Decrement Selected Control', and 'Toggle Selected Control' are used to change the values in each black box, (e.g. pit service, car settings)

The Field Of View can be tricky to figure out; but there is a built in FOV calculator under the 'Graphics' tab. I started out on iRacing with about 55 degrees or so, but I'm now running something like 75 or 78. At first I could not drive with it, but eventually I got used to it and it made a positive difference for me. That said, we're all different.
    TimCollier and Anthony James like this.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin

Quote Originally Posted by lopsided View Post
    Anthony, Noob disclaimer... if I steer you wrong someone will come along and set us both straight.

I'm using my D-pad for that ...

Dwn = Select Next Control
    Up = Select Previous Control
    Right = Increment Selected Control
    Left = Decrement Selected Control
    Another Button = Toggle Selected Control

You must assign a button to Toggle Selected Control so you can tick/untick your boxes like: Windshield Tear Off, Begin Fueling, Each Tire You Want Changed.

If you don't want to use your keyboard you could do the same on your G27 by using your D-pad and then assign one of the 4 buttons below it to "Toggle Selected Control".
    If you wanted it on the wheel you'll need to give up 5 of the 6 buttons on your wheel. My D-pad is on the wheel so it's a little more handy.

I'm very fortunate to have a button box because I would never be able to see or remember buttons on my keyboard... I have to have labels and find a button quickly.

You could bring up your In Car Adjustments Black Box and use your D-pad to change things like: Brake Bias, Ft./Rear Rollbar, Weight Jacker etc. and forego assigning those to a button box/keyboard which would require 2 buttons each. (Inc/Dec). See this part is a little easier with a button box because instead of bringing up the In Car Adjustments, moving to the brake bias and changing it I just grab a rotary knob and spin it fore or aft to change the balance. That's a pretty nice luxury as it is very distracting for me to do it while looking at a black box and driving.

If you have 2 buttons assigned to Next and Previous Black Box then at least you can rotate thru all of the available Black Boxes even if you don't have each box mapped to separate buttons.
    I have done that before, but the Black Boxes I actually use the most while racing are... Relative & Lap Timing.

I'm not sure I have a good grasp on the features of pitting yet. Like... do they always change tires and add fuel UNLESS we untick the box?

As we race other cars I'm sure they will have different or more features available so personally I'm still trying to be creative with my button box assignments. It's harder than it seems because when you go from one sim to another you may need more features and not use others already on the box.
    Yes, Bailey you are right on!

For pitting, if the boxes are checked for fuel and tires, the crew will service the car.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin

lopsided is offline Bailey Lagstrum

Drrr... I just reread my question and what I was trying to ask was...

Are they always checked by default?

I was wondering if we always got fuel and tires unless we unticked the boxes. See it sounds a little less DUH now doesn't it?
    I said a little not a lot! lol

And the reason I ask... If they are always checked by default then I really don't need a button assigned to 4 Tires as I would be getting 4 tires unless I manually changed something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast