Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Mosport Post-Race

  1. #1
    Z_Stig's Avatar
    Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    3,321

    Default Mosport Post-Race

    Last edited by Z_Stig; 06-21-2018 at 12:52 AM.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

  2. #2
    TwoFlatTires's Avatar
    TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Was excited for race. Hardware wonkiness and utter stupidity had other plans. Thankful for drop weeks, as I"ll be forgetting this debacle as soon as humanly possible.

    Don't know if it was Ricky or Ken that I punted in Moss, but apologies for the contact. I was on tilt. Not an excuse, just offering an explanation. Sorry again.

    See you next week.
    Last edited by TwoFlatTires; 06-21-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    Z_Stig and Peterftm like this.

  3. #3
    Peterftm is offline Peter Hebron
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Montgomery Al
    Posts
    447

    Default

    First off, apologies to Liam, my braking point was later than your’s and I’d been following you for a couple of laps so should have known better. Great coordinated start in the first race by can am, certainly caught me napping.
    Second apology to Rick, I got target fixation and just drove into the back of you, I just expected you to drive away in the P1, I didn’t realize you were damaged.

    Congrats to all the podiums, especially Drew who is too consistently fast for me.

  4. #4
    exSaint is offline Liam Park
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Windsor, ON
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Points are updated.

    Unfortunately I missed most of the public practices (I have other commitments Sunday and Monday nights), but was able to get some solo sessions in. I was really struggling through turn 3 and suspect this is where I lost most of my time. I also appear to have been braking harder than everyone going into 2 and 3, which caught some people by surprise, I think. And then I was either slow in or slow out of Moss - I could never seem to put it all together there - given that Moss lead onto Andretti Straight, I opted for slow in. Drew gave me some coaching and a replay lap file of his helped hone my line elsewhere.

    Pre-race practice went well - I had a couple of exciting moments getting passed in 2 and 8, so that took most of my pre-race jitters away. I'm not sure there's a track that demonstrates the difference in speed between the P1 and GT cars like Mosport does - wow! I managed a new personal best and started to discover I was getting ridiculous gas mileage.

    Qualifying saw a few "offs" where I was pushing too hard, but I managed another solid lap and was sitting in the lowest podium spot. I was happy with this, as both Michael and Fred were posting lap times close to me in both practice and qualifying. Drew and Peter were a full second ahead, so my sights were set on third.

    For the morning race, Drew and I worked out a start strategy and I thought it was executed really well. My hope was to get beside Peter in 10 (and maybe 1) to slow him up enough to let Drew get away. But I was clear going into 1 and I had my mirrors full for a few laps as I tried to make the Audi wide. Unfortunately, my aforementioned early/hard braking point for 3 caught Peter out and we came together. My wing was bent (and would be hanging on my wall right now were this real life) so I lost about 10mph off the top end, but the car was otherwise no worse for the where. Michael was too quick to catch, though I was slowly reeling him in. Would have been exciting if we'd had another 5 minutes, I think.

    Wound up starting from a familiar position in race 2 (how do we seem to lose people between race 1 and 2? or is race 2 too late?). Peter displayed his hot lap prowess and walked away from me early. Drew caught up pretty quick and got by to chase him down. Was a pretty sleepy race for me early, until I dropped a tire on 2. I somehow managed to slide on track, keeping me off the wall, and was able to reverse off track before faster cars came back. The spin set me back about 12s, but I was now behind Fred, too. The next several laps as a fighter pilot were the most fun I had in the race. I got a good run on Fred out of 10 and tried to pull to the inside (for 1), but did so too early and the car got a little loose. Jay did a nice job threading the needle between us there. Same lap, I got another run on Fred out of 2 and moved to the inside, but I think he out-braked himself as he wound up wide. At some point, Ricky caught up to me and was surprised by my braking point for 2. iRacing gave me a 4x for contact (?), but I went back and watched the replay and didn't see anything. If there was, I doubt it was enough to even transfer paint. I mowed the lawn again on the outside of 2 late in the race (tires were falling off), but no contact with a wall. My last 'moment' was when Robert caught me between 2 and 3 as I was coming back over to the left. I saw him likely a moment later than Robert would have liked me to, but he was able to check out and I thought there was enough room on the outside of 3 as he came alongside. But he never got in front and a short time later disconnected, so I'm not entirely sure what happened there. (I didn't get a chance to see this on replay last night). Please reach out if I was offside there.

    In general, a good night for me. Continued the podium streak. I thought traffic was really well behaved, too (even as to P1s passed me on T9 on the final lap - they weren't waiting for me at that point!)

    Congrats to all the race winners!

    -

    As an aside, I won't be here next week and won't be able to update the standings in a timely fashion. If someone else wants to do the scoring next week, that would be great; otherwise I can just score when I return.
    Z_Stig, Peterftm and TwoFlatTires like this.

  5. #5
    JJ Addison's Avatar
    JJ Addison is offline Community Leader
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Was very happy to be back in the 488 GT3. The car felt very good and stable. If private practice I could get it into the mid 17s but no better? The in qualy I could only muster a 19.3 and I had a few good runs at it undisturbed. I just dont know??

    Then in Race 1 car again was fine but I soon realized I screwed up and had way to much fuel! Race was over and I still had 15 laps of fuel whaaaaat! The screwed up part is that with all that fuel my PB race lap was 19.8. I now stand clueless?? I had to get up quite early for work so decided to call it night and head off totally wondering what the hell is going on with my racing. I know my apex thru the turns is not great but I dont understand how Im loosing that much time or how others are just flying thru those turns. I mean Im on track Im not flying off all over the place in the grass... my inc. counts are low compared to some others that are very high. Frustrating

    Back to the telemetry board.
    Peterftm, TwoFlatTires and exSaint like this.
    Racing From The Darkside!

    dlidkea is offline Drew Lidkea
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, ON Canada
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peterftm View Post
    Great coordinated start in the first race by can am, certainly caught me napping.
    Congrats to all the podiums, especially Drew who is too consistently fast for me.
    Thanks Peter. Although, Mosport is my home (and most driven) track which I have fortunately been able to drive a bunch of times in real-life. If there was any track I should do decent at, it is this one.

    Barely nabbed the pole and knew with such a long acceleration zone, team tactics could come to play. Worked perfectly, as we got off to a great start and with Liam playing tail gunner, I was able to scamper off.

    Race 2 I figured Peter would similarly try to get a jump, so made a point of staying as close as possible. He got a good jump but we were all packed up pretty tight I had the inside going into 10 and then 1 so got by Micheal, and then Fred going into 3.

    Chased Liam and Peter and after a few laps Liam realized he didn't quite have the pace to run Peter down he graciously let me have a try.

    Trying to maximize being lapped by the Protos, I was able to eventually get up on Peter coming out of Moss and got the run up the Andretti straight and got around (with his gentlemanly help) him on the outside of 8.

    Tried to stay clean and brought it home for the win.

    Congrats to all and to Liam keeping his podium run alive.

    If everyone could post in Redditt and on the various forums I really think we could get participation up. Was good to have 4 protos as i really the dynamic with them lapping etc.

    See ya at the next one.
    Last edited by dlidkea; 06-21-2018 at 07:44 PM.

  6. #7
    dlidkea's Avatar
    dlidkea is offline Drew Lidkea
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, ON Canada
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Addison View Post
    Was very happy to be back in the 488 GT3. The car felt very good and stable. If private practice I could get it into the mid 17s but no better? The in qualy I could only muster a 19.3 and I had a few good runs at it undisturbed. I just dont know??

    Then in Race 1 car again was fine but I soon realized I screwed up and had way to much fuel! Race was over and I still had 15 laps of fuel whaaaaat! The screwed up part is that with all that fuel my PB race lap was 19.8. I now stand clueless?? I had to get up quite early for work so decided to call it night and head off totally wondering what the hell is going on with my racing. I know my apex thru the turns is not great but I dont understand how Im loosing that much time or how others are just flying thru those turns. I mean Im on track Im not flying off all over the place in the grass... my inc. counts are low compared to some others that are very high. Frustrating

    Back to the telemetry board.
    You had good pace John. Happy to try to run with you and help out when possible. Mosport is such a fast track. Barely use the brakes, and commit early.
    Takes a long time to really get, and really rewards a good rhythm.
    Just keep driving, and as clean as you are, the speed will come.

  7. #8
    JJ Addison's Avatar
    JJ Addison is offline Community Leader
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlidkea View Post
    You had good pace John. Happy to try to run with you and help out when possible. Mosport is such a fast track. Barely use the brakes, and commit early.
    Takes a long time to really get, and really rewards a good rhythm.
    Just keep driving, and as clean as you are, the speed will come.
    Thanks Drew, its like in the current GT sprint at Zandvoort the car is very quick and stable but I cant get it a lap under 40. Some of it may or may not be reaction time at my age not sure I dont feel it is. I loose a lot of time on those 2 sweeping turns 9 & 10 I think that tighten up. I cant seem to get the car to sweep wide enough before entering those turns if that makes any seance. Thats why I'm questions maybe my wheel rotation settings? I run them at 540 in iracing as well as the wheel profiler. Gonna mess with the rotations this weekend.
    TwoFlatTires likes this.
    Racing From The Darkside!

    TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Addison View Post
    Thanks Drew, its like in the current GT sprint at Zandvoort the car is very quick and stable but I cant get it a lap under 40. Some of it may or may not be reaction time at my age not sure I dont feel it is. I loose a lot of time on those 2 sweeping turns 9 & 10 I think that tighten up. I cant seem to get the car to sweep wide enough before entering those turns if that makes any seance. Thats why I'm questions maybe my wheel rotation settings? I run them at 540 in iracing as well as the wheel profiler. Gonna mess with the rotations this weekend.
    The only thing I would add, and I'm sure you've already thought of this - but it's easy to forget that with rotation settings changing your muscle memory will need to be reprogrammed also.

    I leave my wheel and iRacing settings on max (for me it's 1080) and I make all my adjustments to myself and the inputs I give. That way I can use my hardware as the baseline and I never have to guess or waste time trying to figure out if it's me or the setting I just changed.

    It sounds like you're already in a comfortable zone @540 deg., so I would make large incremental changes if it were me, so there are pronounced differences in the feel. That way you can almost immediately tell if 720, 900, or 1080 work best for you. In my humble opinion, like Jason said, 540 is just a tad too low to be able to react to the car when you have "oh crap" moments.

    Keep at it JJ, you're on the right path!
    Z_Stig likes this.

  8. #10
    JJ Addison's Avatar
    JJ Addison is offline Community Leader
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFlatTires View Post
    The only thing I would add, and I'm sure you've already thought of this - but it's easy to forget that with rotation settings changing your muscle memory will need to be reprogrammed also.

    I leave my wheel and iRacing settings on max (for me it's 1080) and I make all my adjustments to myself and the inputs I give. That way I can use my hardware as the baseline and I never have to guess or waste time trying to figure out if it's me or the setting I just changed.

    It sounds like you're already in a comfortable zone @540 deg., so I would make large incremental changes if it were me, so there are pronounced differences in the feel. That way you can almost immediately tell if 720, 900, or 1080 work best for you. In my humble opinion, like Jason said, 540 is just a tad too low to be able to react to the car when you have "oh crap" moments.

    Keep at it JJ, you're on the right path!
    Yeh Im going to try these higher rotations as soon as I blow off work. I used to use 720 for years but after I moved into the luv a GT cars I always struggled. I noticed in RE3 that they auto set the GTs at 540 I think?? So thats why I changed. I cant imagine getting the car out of the garage with such high rotation settings. But I will check it out later today. Thanks all for the insight.
    TwoFlatTires likes this.