Thread: Interlagos Post-Race

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Default Interlagos Post-Race

davidan and TwoFlatTires like this.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

davidan is offline David Anderson

Enjoyed running with you guys last night after having to miss the last few due to other things going on. Unfortunately in the feature race I got caught up in an accident on lap one, when a car spun ahead of me and I couldn't avoid him. Massive damage, limped it to the pits and took the fast repair. That ended my ability to contend for the podium, but it was still fun to get some laps in. I was surprised that my car seemed to be the only one in that accident that had to take big repair. Oh well. Good times. The Mercedes is a fun car and that was a good track for it. -- DA
    Z_Stig and TwoFlatTires like this.

my personal motorsports blog

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Practiced on Monday and Tuesday and felt fast. Looked at my times last night in practice and was disappointed to see I was almost a second behind Jason and slower than Ricky, too. Qual came around and I managed to pull a P2 result, which is becoming the story of my life this season, so I settled down and tried to focus on staying with Jason long enough to make a move or pressure him into a mistake.

Ricky got a good jump on the start, and got up even with me on the inside of L1T1, but I knew I could brake a little later given the slower speed of the opening lap straight, and was able to edge him out in the Senna "S"'s. I maintained a decent pace all night in Race 1, gaining on Jason by a tenth or two for about five laps. He had a spin in T4 about half way through the race, opening up the track and my mindset to just cruise.

It worked until lap 8 when I accidentally double tapped my brake bias button at the start finish line. I broke at my normal point, with normal pressure, but the left front locked a bit when the track dipped for the esses and around I went. Luck kept me off the wall, and I got it arrested and pointed the right way again before any real damage was done. I lost 1st place, but got in just ahead of Sam, who was obviously smelling blood at that point. I was about to get on the mic and start ranting about how I had given away another race win, but for whatever reason I used it as motivation to strengthen my resolve.

Something clicked in my head, and my eyes glazed over - Before I knew it I was gaining on Ricky by almost a second a lap. I was completely zoned for the first time in a long while - Driving out of my mind, and catching him quicker than I could have imagined. All race I couldn't shake him from my draft, but this was different. There was nothing but me, my target, and the next apex.

There were only two laps left though, and getting back around the hard charging Ferrari would not be easy. Enter LMP1 traffic... Jay came around again, and caught me in between 4 & 5 (which is one of the two best sections to allow for faster traffic to pass) and flew by into the twisty bits. Unfortunately for Ricky, Jay caught him into the first hard right hander. Feeling froggy, I tried to use Jay as a pick and follow him by Ricky, but Ricky was smart and pinched me off taking the preferred line into Pinheirinho (T9). We went back and forth and side by side through the entire lower section of the track, until Juncao (T13).

Ricky was forced to take the defensive line into 13 because I was in the way on the outside. I used that to create an over under move coming out of the corner into the uphill straight's compression. It worked perfectly, allowing me to stick my nose on the inside just before he could close the door on me. We had a drag race to the finish, but I had a better run and pulled it out at the very end.

GREAT RACE RICKY!!! Thanks for the clean, but hard battle man, that made my night. For what it's worth, he was at a disadvantage I think with a single monitor versus the VR headset I was wearing. Nonetheless, great drive man.

Race 2 was more tame. Jason jumped out to about a 5 second lead before I could get in a position to chase him, but chace him I did. Alll..... Frickin..... Night.... At one point I got the gap down to 4 seconds, but nothing doing as I took way too much fuel at the stop (bungled another pit), and had 9 laps left at the end. Jay cruised to a 7 second lead by the end as I had nothing for him.

Another Puffin 1, 2 is a great thing, though. Congrats on the win Jason.

Congrats to all the podiums for both races, and to all those that finished!! This is a tough circuit at which to be consistent, especially with the speed differences in traffic. Well done everyone.

See you @ Monza after the break.
    davidan and Z_Stig like this.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Interlagos is usually a pretty good track for me so I was excited for this race. I took the pole for race 1, wanting to push hard the opening laps and build a gap. Which I actually did for the first few laps - until my Rift headset started stuttering. It always did it right at the apex too! I started losing time to Jimmy, but I wasn't too concerned; however it was suprising when he showed up right on my rear bumper entering turn 4 one lap. Immediately thereafter, I had one of those slow, lazy spins the Ford is vulnerable to.

Late in the race, Sam went off at T1 which put me back on the podium and I had enough speed to see some of the battle for first, but I was just too far back with too little time. Congrats on the fight back Jimmy, and an awesome scrap with Ricky at the front. And my stutters? I surmised my rig got moved away from the wall, moving my headset out of the sensors' sight every time I turned my head for the apex. I pushed my rig back up against the wall and everything was fine for the next race.

For race 2, my earlier foibles gave me great starting position. I moved into the lead at Turn 3 and then tried to run and hide. Once I had the gap where I wanted it, I just managed it. Played with fuel saving and fuel maps as I was pretty close to not having to make a pit stop...

I'm glad Paul and I didn't ruin each other's races lol...and also good I took fuel for 1 extra lap just in case.

Another Puffin 1-2 in GTE and a solid 2nd place for Pete in GT3 - a very good night overall.

See everyone at Monza in two weeks!
    Last edited by Z_Stig; 06-28-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    TwoFlatTires likes this.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Peterftm is offline Peter Hebron

Sorry to David for the second race. The leader spun in front of me and I had nowhere to go except into him which spun him around into you. The Audi’s are obviously built like tanks. Watching the reply it looked like someone’s engine expired in the collision.
    I just couldn’t overtake for position so pitted early to try and get past during the pit cycle, which seemed to work. May need to practice overtaking with someone in a practice session.
    davidan and TwoFlatTires like this.

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Peterftm View Post
    May need to practice overtaking with someone in a practice session.
    Let me know when and where Pete, I could use the practice too.

dlidkea is offline Drew Lidkea

Great to see some new Pilots and see familiar ones return.

Practise had been going pretty well, so felt good with my setup and the conditions. Grabbed pole, and had a really good hunch when one of our new attendees lined up beside me, that he might not quite have understood the acceleration zone thing, and sure enough lights went green and off he went!
    The rest of us stayed back and once in the zone I waited until closer to the line and got a good jump. From there it was just driving a decent pace and trying to keep it clean.

Race 2, unfortunately we lost a GT3 or 2, maybe guys who are new to the Tournament style aren't used to leaving and then waiting on the Hosting page for the next race to come up?

Anyways, good clean start and I tried to stay patient running at the very back when as Peter indicated the 3 front guys all tossed together on the last exit to the back straight and Fred and I found ourselves up front.

Followed Fred and watched his braking points and was able to get by as I could go a bit deeper and from there tired to build a good lead so my pit stop would be less stressful.

Worked out well, and brought it home.

Let's take the break to flood the forums (obviously worked this past week) and maybe we can get everyone out for Monza. Should be fun.

Congrats to all.
    See you in Italy.
    davidan, Z_Stig and TwoFlatTires like this.

jimbo54 is offline James Schmitz

As terrible as a race as this was for me it was still a lot of fun to be in this league. This was the second league race that I've done with you guys.

I just want to start off by apologizing to the LMP's as there were a couple of blue flags that didn't go so well. One was the left-hander right before Junction where I held the inside line and expected the LMP to go around the outside but I think he expected me to slide to the outside at the end of the corner. He ended up having to brake hard and lose all his momentum.
    Should I be holding the racing line or just inside or outside line through a corner?

Anyways the first race was going well until I got onto the gas a little too hard in turn 3, started to oversteer, and lost control when it snapped back and ended up backing into the wall. A lot of damage to the rear so that pretty much ended that race.

The last-place finish in the first race meant that I was starting on pole for the second race. Was going well until I was put under pressure in junction and braked a little late into the corner and started into just a lazy spin which left me in the middle of the track right in front of everyone. I apologize to those cars in that wreck. After I went for my pitstop I tagged the wall of the pit exit and iRacing said that I had too much damage even though my lap times were only about 0.5 seconds slower. I figured that wasn’t worth pitting for and continued to drive, not noticing that it was going to be a black flag and a disqualification for not repairing the damage.

Gotta work on some of the more stupid spins and mistakes before Italy. But thanks for having this series. I'm really enjoying it.
    Z_Stig, Peterftm and TwoFlatTires like this.

dlidkea is offline Drew Lidkea

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo54 View Post
    As terrible as a race as this was for me it was still a lot of fun to be in this league. This was the second league race that I've done with you guys.

I just want to start off by apologizing to the LMP's as there were a couple of blue flags that didn't go so well. One was the left-hander right before Junction where I held the inside line and expected the LMP to go around the outside but I think he expected me to slide to the outside at the end of the corner. He ended up having to brake hard and lose all his momentum.
    Should I be holding the racing line or just inside or outside line through a corner?

Anyways the first race was going well until I got onto the gas a little too hard in turn 3, started to oversteer, and lost control when it snapped back and ended up backing into the wall. A lot of damage to the rear so that pretty much ended that race.

The last-place finish in the first race meant that I was starting on pole for the second race. Was going well until I was put under pressure in junction and braked a little late into the corner and started into just a lazy spin which left me in the middle of the track right in front of everyone. I apologize to those cars in that wreck. After I went for my pitstop I tagged the wall of the pit exit and iRacing said that I had too much damage even though my lap times were only about 0.5 seconds slower. I figured that wasn’t worth pitting for and continued to drive, not noticing that it was going to be a black flag and a disqualification for not repairing the damage.

Gotta work on some of the more stupid spins and mistakes before Italy. But thanks for having this series. I'm really enjoying it.
    Great to have you James.
    It will come, speed and consistent takes lots of laps, and always be open to learning. We have all (and still) find ourselves in similar silly spin situations.
    As for dealing with the protos - run the racing line. It is their job to go off the normal racing line to get around you. That being said if they are coming up to you on corner entry, hold your line but lift or brake early, and if it is corner exit and they are coming up fast just try to hold a tighter line until they are past.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and lost of guys are on the Discord channel during the race and in between etc.
    Cheers
    TwoFlatTires likes this.

arandomnoob is offline Paul Darling

Qualy race was good fun with James. I couldn't pull away, and since I didn't have my energy settings right, he was able to pull back and easily pass me. I was changing things around during the race, trying to find the best setting, but I just couldn't get pace to beat James. We had a great side by side on the last lap, and then I planned on saving all my energy to deploy after turn 12. Unfortunately I miscalculated, and I used up my battery too fast. If I'd played it right, I MIGHT have had a shot, but alas it was not to be. Great win for James.

In the feature race, I was able to get around Tarbox for the lead, and then once those two pulled a Red Bull, I had a bit of gap for the rest of the race.

@James Schmitz
    The general statement is to hold your line, but there's always an asterisk next to that statement. I recommend reading the follow iRacing forum post: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po....page#10938263
    TwoFlatTires likes this.
    ~Paul Darling
    CMS iRacing League #155

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast