Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Improving

Peterftm is offline Peter Hebron

Default Improving

This is a question to the fast guys.
    I'm happy where I am in the gents class, but I'd like to move up in divisions.
    I feel I'm at the limit on my set up whilst I'm driving, but even using a set up from Tom I'm a second or more slower than he is... WHY?
    Warren McGary likes this.

HumbertoR is offline Established Member

Well ill try to explain myself the best i can, when i started iracing i wasnt fast at all, i used baseline setups for every race without the results i wanted.

Hen i found out i could download setups from people who uploaded their sets to the forums and yes i got better BUT not exactly the better you want to be, what does that mean?

When you use a set from someone else you have to adjust your driving to theirs, meaning the type of driving the person who did the set might be waaay different than yours, if you are starting sim racing thats not a problem as long as you use the sets from the same person, you will adjust to their driving until you drive almost exactly like them BUT that is not optimal.

When i started doing my own setups is when i actually got better ( consistency rather than faster) being faster is just part of the development of the driver, if you get consistent lap times you will be over average no matter what ( consistency means not more than .150 per lap slower)

Example .

That is the consistency you need to be above average, to be faster is just something that will come by itself or at least that happened to me.

I would say keep improving your sets try to know how you want the car to run rather than drive someone elses car.

If too lazy for that, try different sets and see which one matches your style better and then try to figure out how/why is that set so good for you compared to others.

Im sorry if you dont understand but thats the best i could do, i believe that everyone can be fast, its just a matter of getting to know your driving style and improve upon the mistakes and know why they happened.

Cheers Peter!

Peterftm is offline Peter Hebron

I totally get what you're saying. For example, Watkins glen, I started with a set up, I adjusted camber to get the tire temps right across the whole tire, I change the front spring rate to get the understeer right, I'm happy with the set up, but is it just me. Am I just slower than the fast guys?
    It's not just here, I run the L79, and I'm just mid pack there too.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

In the GT3 cars, it's probably corner speed, which then of course hurts your speed down the straights. With ABS, it seems like most people are able brake pretty well, so any time gained here would be minimal.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

HumbertoR is offline Established Member

Yes but remember one thing, if you drive a gt3 and the next day you drive a l79 those two have absolutely nothing in common so you wont be fast in any of the two, unfortunately we the mortals need time to adjust to a car and then keep on doing it until you master it, I have tried countless times to go race another car but then after driving for 3 days im not even close to be in the top 25 fastest but when i come back to gt3 it takes me a couple of days to get back to my regular speeds so its just a matter of practice on the same car, although its boring as hell it will make you faster.
    Warren McGary and Bart like this.

duljon is offline Duljon Boldrin

Quote Originally Posted by Peterftm View Post
    I feel I'm at the limit on my set up whilst I'm driving, but even using a set up from Tom I'm a second or more slower than he is... WHY?
    Hello Peter

I agree with Humberto and Jason. I would add something else: the team. I would never be anywhere near my pace without my team. We talk, we watch each other replays, we develop setups together, we race each other, etc. Unfortunatelly VRS is being charged "soon", but telemetry is a wonderfull way to cut the learning time because you can see exactly the driver inputs comparing with yours.

duljon is offline Duljon Boldrin

Quote Originally Posted by Peterftm View Post
    Hello Peter

I agree with Humberto and Jason. I would add something else: the team. I would never be anywhere near my pace without my team. We talk, we watch each other replays, we develop setups together, we race each other, etc. Unfortunatelly VRS is being charged "soon", but telemetry is a wonderfull way to cut the learning time because you can see exactly the driver inputs comparing with yours.

Dex
    Dex is offline Dexter Castro

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Stig View Post
    With ABS, it seems like most people are able brake pretty well, so any time gained here would be minimal.
    I would say the biggest difference between myself and the aliens actually is the braking. More specifically, coming off the brakes. The last second or so of pace is almost entirely about trailbraking to consistently get the turn-in and apex that you want.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    I would say the biggest difference between myself and the aliens actually is the braking. More specifically, coming off the brakes. The last second or so of pace is almost entirely about trailbraking to consistently get the turn-in and apex that you want.
    True. I was thinking of braking distance but left out trail braking. Duh lol
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Warren McGary is offline Established Member

Thumbs up If it was that easy... (You know the rest...)

Peter,

Thanks for asking the question that I have been thinking for at least the last 3 seasons. Thanks to all who have responded as well...
    I agree that one of the greatest assessment tools is telemetry. It gives a graphic depiction of many things, but the 2 things I notice are, first the areas or corners that I'm losing speed, secondly the difference in the driving line approaching those corners or sectors that I'm falling behind which relates to the optimum speed or time at the end of the sector.
    The first telemetry program that I used was ispeed, and Troy Shultz's tutorial "Getting faster one second at a time". He mentioned a few other considerations. The first is pick one vehicle and one vehicle only, and stick with that until you have mastered every aspect of how it feels and how to adjust your setup to make the car do what YOU need it to do. Secondly, when comparing laps and telemetry, stay within 1 second or so of a driver who is faster than your pace. Example. It would be unproductive for a Gent driver to compare his telemetry to a PRO driver that is in the order of 3 to 4 seconds a lap faster. He (Troy) alluded to the fact that we are looking for improvements in tenths of a second range (.100 to .300).

Peter, I sense your frustration, but just look at your times over the last 3 seasons. I'm pretty sure they are in the magnitude of at least 1 to 2 seconds improvement on average. The only difference is that everyone seems to be improving at a similar pace. That is a good thing my friend. The last thing I have noticed though is when you are focusing on a time you tend to over drive the car. when I focus on the basics... (1) Turn-In (2) Apex, (3) Track out, while using as much of the tarmac as possible I have much better results.

Great conversation guys. let's keep topics like these going...
    TwoFlatTires and Bart like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast