Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Z_Stig
  • 2 Post By Christopher Snow
  • 2 Post By davidan
  • 1 Post By Christopher Snow

Thread: Before I buy into iRacing, I need a few answers to queries...

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Before I buy into iRacing, I need a few answers to queries...

Don Fryman helped me via a PM when he informed me his own install accepted inputs from his FOUR different controllers (and yet the iRacing website, as far as I can tell refers to only one). Never mind, I will take Don's word for it (thx, guy!). I have only three anyway.

Next: FOV. Yes, I see the typical up/down slider, and I will probably run 45-53 or thereabouts (at least given my current setup) so on it's face this isn't a huge problem...

...but is there any way to tweak the "driver viewcam" viewpoint a bit more? I was hoping to find a "up/down tilt" feature, as well as a FOV adjustment (in rF1 these were all tweakable in the camera file, I think, and they are also all available in Assetto Corsa.).

I will accept that this "up/down tilt" might not yet have been afforded to iRacing...but it should certainly, by now have been made available to the basic screen (setup). If not done yet, someone, quite frankly, isn't doing his or her job. This should have become a feature LONG ago now....

I was also hoping to find a "fore and aft" slide seating feature. AC brings these adjustments right up front, and I'm surprised...and disappointed both...that iRacing does not seem to (it's not a show stopper, but is certainly a disappointment, true).

CS
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 07-02-2018 at 03:49 AM.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

iRacing accepts an unlimited number of controllers. I personally have: (1) wheel, (2) pedals, (3) shifter, (4) button box and I've occasionally had a fifth connected.

FOV is adjustable in two places: the graphics tab in the options menu; and when you're on track there's a black box menu that allows you to adjust the FOV. From that same window and you can also tilt the view.

If you need more adjustment you can open up the .ini config file in your Documents/iRacing and change a lot of different parameters. You can also open up the camera tool (Ctrl+F12) in sim and save a camera file.
    davidan and Christopher Snow like this.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Ok, I bought in for a year. $29.99 which, of course auto-renews at a much higher price next year ($109.99). But I suppose it'll give me enough time to see if I like it at all, even if I do have leg surgery in a few months time and miss a lot of seat time.

Intriguing cars and tracks: GT3's obviously, and the new Porsche 919 LMP1--if you've seen the video Jason posted last Friday of the new (though unofficial) track record at Nurburgring set in that car, you'll know why it's interesting. Nurburgring generally of interest too, but that's true in any sim.

So Dave Slee steps away for a while, and I step in (or just "into it," maybe...hehe. We'll have to see). It DOES look like I can join him in the skippy series too, so there's that.

May also try to get up to speed with whatever CMS is going to run in the next Endurance race, but that might be a tall order given how busy I am with real-life right now. Again, we'll see....
    davidan and jham like this.

davidan is online now David Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Ok, I bought in for a year. $29.99 which, of course auto-renews at a much higher price next year ($109.99). But I suppose it'll give me enough time to see if I like it at all, even if I do have leg surgery in a few months time and miss a lot of seat time.

Intriguing cars and tracks: GT3's obviously, and the new Porsche 919 LMP1--if you've seen the video Jason posted last Friday of the new (though unofficial) track record at Nurburgring set in that car, you'll know why it's interesting. Nurburgring generally of interest too, but that's true in any sim.

So Dave Slee steps away for a while, and I step in (or just "into it," maybe...hehe. We'll have to see). It DOES look like I can join him in the skippy series too, so there's that.

May also try to get up to speed with whatever CMS is going to run in the next Endurance race, but that might be a tall order given how busy I am with real-life right now. Again, we'll see....
    Plan to join us for the Coffee Cup series this Saturday if you'd like! with the Porsche GT3 Cup car at Mosport!

DA
    Christopher Snow and Flyer23 like this.

my personal motorsports blog

Yeah, I did buy the Porsche GT3 and Mosport in anticipation of joining you guys, but I'm going to have to solve the "not getting full throttle" issue before I can be competitive. Going to see if I can't just move two of them from a standard G27 set into my cockpit later today (clutch isn't working either, but that's probably a wiring snafu--I suspect I didn't put it back together correctly after fixing the hydro-brake last week).

LOT'S to do and not much time to get it done, but I'll sure try!
    davidan likes this.

davidan is online now David Anderson

Sure hope you can make it Chris -- be sure to call iracing Support if needed. they are helpful.

my personal motorsports blog

Quote Originally Posted by davidan View Post
    Sure hope you can make it Chris -- be sure to call iracing Support if needed. they are helpful.
    I'll remember it.

Good news is that I just logged into iRacing to test the individual G27 pedals for full calibration (while keeping my hydro-brake) and any combination of two of the three either as clutch or throttle works fine. So I'm going to address another issue too at the same time--my throttle return spring has seemed a bit lighter than I would like of late, so I'll instead use the (mid-stiff) G27 clutch pedal as a throttle, and (heavy-stiff) G27 brake pedal as a clutch. Easy-peasy. The actual remount shouldn't be hard at all, so after an errand or two, that's next, and then I should be good to go.

Still don't know if I'll be able to get enough seat time to get a D level license in time to race tomorrow AM, but I guess I'll find out.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

My pedals don't go to 100% throttle occasionally so I just short calibrated them to about 75%
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!