Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: VIR North Results

mms
    mms is online now Mihaly Marton

Quote Originally Posted by Brette Brooks View Post
    Thanks Mihaly for such a thorough response!

I usually build my own PCs and spec the parts based on my favorite racing sim of the upcoming genre. The one I'm using now I built in early 2012 and specified the parts based on rF2 and MS FSX claims more than anything else. Even though it is almost 6 years old, my i7 CPU is one generation older than yours. So you must have done some updates along the way if your PC is 8 years old. Anyway, one of the things I am trying to wrap my head around (ironically opposite of VR..hehe) regarding VR is how do you see your local hardware for things like pushing the correct buttons? That might be easy to resolve with a wheel that has less than 10 or 12 switches. But what about typing command keys or text, moving a mouse on your keyboard, reaching for a drink, adjusting a nearby fan, etc.? Is the next gen of VR suppose to include some see thru or local peek option in some way? Or do you just block out those things because you are so into driving a car you "seem to be in" and you would not have those options in a RL race? Just curious because I can see myself really getting into something like that as long as the technicals (resolution and smoothness mostly) are not distracting.

BTW, AMS is also sim I like. I don't dislike R3E either. I just don't care for their payment scheme for content (although they have some tracks on sale right now). How many of the current race sims actually have good VR support already? And how many CMS members you know have VR? Maybe one of them lives close enough to me that I can ask for a demo. Sorry for more questions. It's a given I appreciate all the feedback!
    You're right I upgraded my CPU a few years ago, the 3770K was released in 2012. That's actually the latest I could put in my motherboard. Other than that, the GPU and an SSD all other things are 8 years old, I will probably have to upgrade next year...

About the VR and pushing buttons, typing, handling the mouse: there's a small gap with the Rift headset where you can peek through, so you don't have to take it off, but I only do that when I'm not racing, it would be too distracting during the race. So yeah, that's one limitation you have to live with, fortunately it's not a big deals for me as I don't really use any buttons during the race.

The sims I know with good VR support are: iRacing, AC, rf2, PC1/PC2 (though some don't consider them a sim). For people with VR you should check this thread and maybe ask there:
    The Realities of Virtual Reality
    Brette Brooks likes this.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

FWIW, I've gone ahead with that regedit and turned Game Mode (GM) OFF globally. Had one screen interruption afterward in the pits on the MNRL server, but just ran three clean laps without one...so I'm hopeful for the moment. Really won't know until I run a dozen or so though. It's certainly been an educational week, if nothing else.

Replacement PJ lamp won't arrive until Thu or Fri, so if this GM fix doesn't work I'm not seeing how replacing the PJ temporarily with a monitor would change anything. VR? Also not clear.

What IS still clear is that whatever the cause, it's not happening at all at the desktop--only in rF and AC (which is all I've been doing), and that does suggest GM might be my culprit. Thanks again for tipping me off to its existence--could have taken a long time otherwise to even realize it was a new "feature."

[UPDATE: six more clean laps over on the MNRL server (rF) so I feel safe enough to race there now... but I wonder now if it affects laptimes--that's going to take more testing, and not just by me].

In retrospect, I took too big a risk racing with it Sunday night--it really could have ruined Mihaley's night too (glad it didn't). Probably would not do that over again, knowing what I know now.

Won't know for sure until my next AC event if it's fixed things over there too. Will let you all know when I do].
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-19-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    mms likes this.

Well...the interruptions continue, but there seem to be fewer of them in rF vs. AC. On the downside, they are also lasting longer--I've had three of the "two second black" variety online at MNRL in the last hour, but all three came in mid corner when I was already on the brakes and none caused me to go off. I can also see that it's a video only issue--even though the screen blanks out, the brakes and wheel are still working. Had they not been, I would have had some very hard hits already at Mid-Ohio today.

So this isn't a teleporting issue or freezing issue. When the image comes back I find I've moved down the track just about the way I would expect to, and if it happens on a straight, the lap is probably affected very little by it.

Not going to have a chance to test with AC again until after the MNRL race--more if I find out more.

If anyone stumbles across a cure, I'm all ears--thx for listening.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-19-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brette Brooks View Post
    Thanks Mihaly for such a thorough response!

I usually build my own PCs and spec the parts based on my favorite racing sim of the upcoming genre. The one I'm using now I built in early 2012 and specified the parts based on rF2 and MS FSX claims more than anything else. Even though it is almost 6 years old, my i7 CPU is one generation older than yours. So you must have done some updates along the way if your PC is 8 years old. Anyway, one of the things I am trying to wrap my head around (ironically opposite of VR..hehe) regarding VR is how do you see your local hardware for things like pushing the correct buttons? That might be easy to resolve with a wheel that has less than 10 or 12 switches. But what about typing command keys or text, moving a mouse on your keyboard, reaching for a drink, adjusting a nearby fan, etc.? Is the next gen of VR suppose to include some see thru or local peek option in some way? Or do you just block out those things because you are so into driving a car you "seem to be in" and you would not have those options in a RL race? Just curious because I can see myself really getting into something like that as long as the technicals (resolution and smoothness mostly) are not distracting.

BTW, AMS is also sim I like. I don't dislike R3E either. I just don't care for their payment scheme for content (although they have some tracks on sale right now). How many of the current race sims actually have good VR support already? And how many CMS members you know have VR? Maybe one of them lives close enough to me that I can ask for a demo. Sorry for more questions. It's a given I appreciate all the feedback!
    This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzUGiC1GYCA

...shows VR cockpit driving the way we probably wish it did work--but it's video trickery, so don't get your hopes up. What he's done there is take a video of his hands on the wheel that he can't see, and combine it with the VR feed he IS seeing (for video purposes).

So...COULD you somehow configure things to work this way? A: Probably not right now, but potentially yes, using camera pass-throughs on the "outside" of the HMD itself (the VIVE currently has one). But it still wouldn't be perfect, as the cameras wouldn't be exactly where the eyes are (they would be further forward). Might still be close enough though.

Keep up with future HMD developments, I guess.
    Brette Brooks likes this.

Wish my timing was always this good: https://techreport.com/news/32989/ma...t-to-the-world

This sort of "mixed" reality might be a practical version of what the video in the previous post imagines we had.

Hutch is offline Michael Kolar

Time penalties applied post-review have changed the results a bit. Though I'm unable to edit the race results in the first post, final points have been modified accordingly in the Season Standings thread.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

For the future Michael, would be nice if you can use a table to display the correct race results, in case of changes afterwards, like this one. At least for me is important to know where I finished.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234