Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: VIR North Results

  1. #11
    Brette Brooks's Avatar
    Brette Brooks is offline Established Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mid Atlantic USA
    Posts
    255

    Default

    WOW! What an up and down race. Full of excitement most of the way.

    Started in the back serving a NQ. Got gifted a few spots in T1 and then had a fun run for first 20 mins. or so between Michael and Angelo. Michael was charging strong from behind and we had some close runs thru a few turns in sector 1. I was less consistent in sector 2 and he eventually got by as we both got closer to Angelo. After that I made a few errors approaching the infield uphill turn and lost some time to Angelo. But as time passed we caught up to Hernan and started running close with him. I had already had some fps drops and started seeing some warping occasionally with Hernan, so I dove into the pits at the same time as Angelo. Pit went smooth and quick as usual. Came out to for a fairly lone drive with about 25 mins to go. Pushed as hard as possible on my own. Eventually that paid off when some of the others made pit stops and close battles made them viewable ahead. Patrice was the closest in front of me and we had some close running the last 5 laps or so. I made another slow spin turning uphill on the last lap and lost the chance to challenge Patrice all the way to the finish. But as Michael stated, he had an off up ahead in the last few turns and came back on track just in front of me. With all the technical issues and occasional offs most of us had, it is interesting that P2 thru P5 all crossed the line within about 10 seconds of each other after racing for 60 mins!

    Grats to Mihaly on another well deserved win and thumbs up to Chris for giving him the best challenge amongst us! Also thanks to Michael and Patrice for helping make these races possible. Fun stuff!

    PS: I too am only using a single monitor (24" no less). It sounds like those of you using VR are loving it, with maybe Ray still working thru some start up issues. Do the advantages outweigh the obvious pitfalls of the existing technology for you guys? I am intrigued. But will likely wait for the next generation with predicted performance/feature improvements. And hopefully the extra cash required to make all the other sim hardware investments I would like to, by then.
    Last edited by Brette Brooks; 12-18-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Christopher Snow, HeatCAN and mms like this.

  2. #12
    Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    1,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    I was wondering how come I was able to get the lead again at the start, and after watching the replay I found out why: both Patrice and Christopher did only apply a small amount of throttle before releasing the clutch, bogging down the engine. I usually apply full throttle and then release the clutch. Is there a reason you guys are doing the way you do? Is what I do wrong for some reason? I never raced in RL, have no idea how they do it, I just want to know if I'm exploiting something that is not supposed to be done...

    Attachment 12599
    Attachment 12600
    I'm gonna have to watch the replay to see, but if that's what the server is seeing, then it would explain the poor starts. It's definitely NOT what I'm doing, however--I practiced starts about four times Saturday and then again Sunday AM (on real race starts), and then maybe you heard me doing it again several times in pitlane at the end of qual.

    I'm standing on it--flooring it...redlined...and then dropping the clutch as fast as possible. Very odd that the replay isn't showing that, as I've been doing it that way every time (because that IS how F1 starts are best done, according to Lauda). Drop the clutch with no slipping at all, as fast as possible. That should result in the tires laying down about six inches of black marks, and then you rocket away.

    Can't say I've actually noticed much of the "rocketing away" part though. LOL. Must be a "Canadian Exchange Rate" thing....

    Wondering now if the "game mode" thing might have something to do with it? Or even with my PJ issue...which MIGHT explain why it's happening in rF1 as well. Maybe it isn't Steam or SteamVR (or a PJ lamp either), but instead maybe it's Windows. Hmmmmm....

    ----

    BTW, I do have to say that was huge fun while it lasted--that long pass running side-by-side all the way down the back of the course, which only went my way when the last corner did...what a ride! I was saying "don't go dark, don't go dark" the whole way (and it didn't!), and was hugely grateful we both survived it (if only you had known--lol!).

    The other things that made that even possible were your talent [-tips hat-] and the fact that you had the VR HMD, so I knew you could see me, even if I wasn't so sure where you were--the moving red arrows at screen-side are a big help though, and I wish other sims had them.
    I think they give you a fair reference in the same way the sound of the other car would as it creeps up or falls back.

    I just wish it had all lasted a lot longer...but you probably weren't going to be denied even if it had.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-18-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    mms likes this.

  3. #13
    mms
    mms is offline Mihaly Marton
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brette Brooks View Post
    Do the advantages outweigh the obvious pitfalls of the existing technology for you guys?
    As I have mentioned a few times already, it was a game changer for me. I was a bit disappointed at the beginning because of the resolution/blurriness (but that was at the very beginning when things were not yet optimized), but got used to it after a very short time and games improved somewhat too. Today there's no going back, I wouldn't even consider racing with a 3-monitor setup.

    All that said, VR is not for everyone, I know a few people who were not impressed, also there are some who experience nasty motion sickness too. What I can strongly suggest is to go try it somewhere before you commit to it, as it still is a considerable investment (considering you will most probably need to upgrade your PC too)

  4. #14
    mms
    mms is offline Mihaly Marton
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    I'm gonna have to watch the replay to see, but if that's what the server is seeing, then it would explain the poor starts. It's definitely NOT what I'm doing, however--I practiced starts about four times Saturday and then again Sunday AM (on real race starts), and then maybe you heard me doing it again several times in pitlane at the end of qual.

    I'm standing on it--flooring it...redlined...and then dropping the clutch as fast as possible. Very odd that the replay isn't showing that, as I've been doing it that way every time (because that IS how F1 starts are best done, according to Lauda). Drop the clutch with no slipping at all, as fast as possible. That should result in the tires laying down about six inches of black marks, and then you rocket away.

    Can't say I've actually noticed much of the "rocketing away" part though. LOL. Must be a "Canadian Exchange Rate" thing....

    Wondering now if the "game mode" thing might have something to do with it? Or even with my PJ issue...which MIGHT explain why it's happening in rF1 as well. Maybe it isn't Steam or SteamVR (or a PJ lamp either), but instead maybe it's Windows. Hmmmmm....

    ----

    BTW, I do have to say that was huge fun while it lasted--that long pass running side-by-side all the way down the back of the course, which only went my way when the last corner did...what a ride! I was saying "don't go dark, don't go dark" the whole way (and it didn't!), and was hugely grateful we both survived it (if only you had known--lol!).

    The other things that made that even possible were your talent [-tips hat-] and the fact that you had the VR HMD, so I knew you could see me, even if I wasn't so sure where you were--the moving red arrows at screen-side are a big help though, and I wish other sims had them.
    I think they give you a fair reference in the same way the sound of the other car would as it creeps up or falls back.

    I just wish it had all lasted a lot longer...but you probably weren't going to be denied even if it had.
    Ok, watched the replay again, and what I see is that you were redlining, but not full (flooring) the throttle. Patrice was not even redlining (around 8K rpm), and he also seemed to go in first gear only when the lights went out. Hernan on the other hand seemed to do the same as me based on the replay, and we both passed you guys.

    I know replays are not always accurate when watching a different racer than the one who recorded it, would be interesting to check your replay with the pedals app on and see, from my replay it clearly shows you only had the throttle about half-way...

    About the game mode, yeah that might be your problem too, I'm pretty sure Steam has nothing to do with it, it's just there during the launch process, after that it should have no impact on the game.

    And yeah, I'm not too happy about the CAD exchange rate either I can tell you, paying 30% more for stuff is not fun lol

    EDIT: I just saw your edit to the post...
    Same here, I really wanted the battle to last for the entire race, it was intense, but clean, fair and tons of fun as always with you!!!

    About seeing others when using VR, it's better than on a monitor for sure, but with the limited FOV it's not really enough, I use the Helicorsa App, it makes a huge difference even with VR, I strongly recommend it to everyone:

    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/helicorsa.5199/
    Last edited by mms; 12-18-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Brette Brooks likes this.

  5. #15
    Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    1,812

    Default

    BTW, I think I went off and out about two seconds after Mihaley's second screenshot--he had passed me into T1, then crossed over JUST off my nose coming out, and I went up the right side into T2...but knew I was on the wrong side and behind both for T3...and then it all went black

    When it came back on, the barrier was getting bigger and bigger (and I knew I had guessed wrong in the dark)...oof!

    I'm gonna have to watch just for that though, and even more for the earlier part running door-handle to door-handle.

    Felt like we were at Bathurst in V8's for a short time there.

  6. #16
    Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    1,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    Ok, watched the replay again, and what I see is that you were redlining, but not full (flooring) the throttle. Patrice was not even redlining (around 8K rpm), and he also seemed to go in first gear only when the lights went out. Hernan on the other hand seemed to do the same as me based on the replay, and we both passed you guys.

    I know replays are not always accurate when watching a different racer than the one who recorded it, would be interesting to check your replay with the pedals app on and see, from my replay it clearly shows you only had the throttle about half-way...

    About the game mode, yeah that might be your problem too, I'm pretty sure Steam has nothing to do with it, it's just there during the launch process, after that it should have no impact on the game.

    And yeah, I'm not too happy about the CAD exchange rate either I can tell you, paying 30% more for stuff is not fun lol
    Dunno if I have a replay, but I don't even need to look to know I was flat to the floor well before the lights went out (and in gear, too, about the time the first red came on). That's just weird.
    mms likes this.

  7. #17
    Brette Brooks's Avatar
    Brette Brooks is offline Established Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mid Atlantic USA
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    As I have mentioned a few times already, it was a game changer for me. I was a bit disappointed at the beginning because of the resolution/blurriness (but that was at the very beginning when things were not yet optimized), but got used to it after a very short time and games improved somewhat too. Today there's no going back, I wouldn't even consider racing with a 3-monitor setup.

    All that said, VR is not for everyone, I know a few people who were not impressed, also there are some who experience nasty motion sickness too. What I can strongly suggest is to go try it somewhere before you commit to it, as it still is a considerable investment (considering you will most probably need to upgrade your PC too)
    I think trying something like this out would be a good first step in any directions, even if its just triples. But where can you try out such a setup in your favorite sims? IIRC, not all current racing sims support VR yet. So that is something else I am also hoping improves. What level of CPU and GPU did you find necessary to run your VR properly? Did you just build the best possible at the time and it seems to work? Or did you take a more research oriented approach? I'm guessing the next gen will require even more CPU and GPU capabilities. Although the latest in both categories are pretty impressive already. This question goes for all of you that have gone this route.

    One of the main things I would think it would help with in driving/racing sims would be judging your braking points and apexes more precisely. Other than the "COOL..MAN" affect most people speak of, what do you guys like the most about it?

    Thanks for any feedback!

  8. #18
    mms
    mms is offline Mihaly Marton
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Dunno if I have a replay, but I don't even need to look to know I was flat to the floor well before the lights went out (and in gear, too, about the time the first red came on). That's just weird.
    That's weird indeed. If you didn't had another session in AC since yesterday you should have a file named "cr" in the replay folder (Documents\Assetto Corsar\replay), rename it to something else and you should be able to see it in game.

  9. #19
    Brette Brooks's Avatar
    Brette Brooks is offline Established Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mid Atlantic USA
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Dunno if I have a replay, but I don't even need to look to know I was flat to the floor well before the lights went out (and in gear, too, about the time the first red came on). That's just weird.
    I've watched some other people's throttle movement ICON in A/C race replays and it always seems to top out at about 80% for others versus 100% for myself in my local replay of the same event. Not sure why that is. But it seems to be compressing the real story into a smaller space (which is a bit misleading).
    Christopher Snow likes this.

  10. #20
    Hutch is offline Michael Kolar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    989

    Default

    I think I benefit most from the head movement- can really look at the next apex, no matter where it is, in a completely natural way. It doesn’t take much, either, it’s not like i’m swiveling my head around all the time, but the finest motion is captured really well and I actually feel like i’m in the car. At times I begin to accept that i’m Looking at my own hands on the wheel, though subconsciously i’ll Keep realizing that i’m Not wearing driving gloves! (Maybe I should start, lol!)

    My PC was about A- or B+ spec 2 years ago. Oculus happily reminds me that it is not up to spec, but I get more than 60 FPS nearly all of the time and all is good.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •