Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Villeneuve Results & Discussion

Rhino is offline Ray Nelson

I don't think so. My startup screen says the same thing - it is merely reporting what the server settings are for a false-start where there are two or three alternatives. From the sounds of it, without looking at a replay, the gear sorting Chris went through was more likely the cause of the car moving prior to the start triggering the penalty. I don't know how sensitive AC is in this regard but that would be my hunch.
    Christopher Snow likes this.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    DOH!!! All evidence point toward a bad server settings by the admin for the jump start. Real sorry about that guys.
    No worries--stuff happens. BTW, I think you said the intended setting was instead to...pitlane? Not sure how that would work, and I wonder if anyone this season has had that happen yet?

Yeah, I think maybe that did it too, Ray. Specifically being in second gear there possibly triggered it (unless it's really borked, going into and back out of first--even several times--shouldn't have done it). If I get motivated enough, maybe I'll try a test race or two to see if I can pin it down further.

But the reason I went into second is that when I tried to go into first (one upclick), nothing seemed to happen, so I'm sure I did it again...and only then it registered as two. Pretty sure I tried to get it into first BEFORE the red lights showed up. I did that based on the decrementing time counter, say...ten seconds before "flag", and that may have been too soon, but I wanted to avoid a repeat of Thruxton (when I clicked upshift, but apparently still wasn't in gear).

There seems to be a delay right about then between what you do with your controls and what AC thinks you did. At least that the sense I'm getting.

mms
    mms is offline Mihaly Marton

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    No worries--stuff happens. BTW, I think you said the intended setting was instead to...pitlane? Not sure how that would work, and I wonder if anyone this season has had that happen yet?
    With that option your car will be teleported to the pits and all controls locked for an amount of time, by the time you'll get out of the pits all others will probably be far away.

About the issues putting the car in gear during the start, you really need to wait for at least the first red light to be lit (I don't know the exact moment, but that seems to work for me). Not sure why they decided to disable gear inputs before that time, but we'll have to live with this limitation...

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    With that option your car will be teleported to the pits and all controls locked for an amount of time, by the time you'll get out of the pits all others will probably be far away.

About the issues putting the car in gear during the start, you really need to wait for at least the first red light to be lit (I don't know the exact moment, but that seems to work for me). Not sure why they decided to disable gear inputs before that time, but we'll have to live with this limitation...
    Yeah, that seems a pretty minor problem--the bigger issue for me will be remembering it after I haven't raced AC for three or four months (so as to not cause a repeat of this). Otherwise...annoying, but certainly pretty livable.

I really can't complain (and I'm not, or not trying to anyway. I'm just taking note of a list of stuff that happened this particular round).

The cards certainly ran my way over the prior three races, and drawing the occasional short straw is just the way things sometimes balance themselves out. Besides, you know yourself, having run into that invisible object at Hockenheim. Michael had his connection issues (two rounds back I think?)...and next week maybe the Chinese Space Station will come crashing down on top of our server.

Certainly does keep it interesting. .)
    mms and Brette Brooks like this.

BA in TO is offline Brent Arthurs

Michael....I apologize for the screen name...I had not updated my user name in AC, I am still learning my way around this sim ;-)

I had a fun race albeit at the back, and I forgot about the mandatory pits top. Looking forward to Sunny VIR !

Brent Arthurs
    Hutch likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234