Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Villeneuve Results & Discussion

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    [...] The qualify session went pretty well considering the circumstances, I was still almost one second slower than Chris, but was good enough for the fourth spot on the grid. [...]
    Before you arrived I was 1.3s slower than Hernan, and was telling Tom and Brette on TS that I just didn't see any way I was going to catch him--I was being very careful about making sure two wheels were on the black part at the chicane apexes and had managed 1:58.3. Hernan arrived and went faster on his first lap and then ran 1:57.091 on his second and when I saw that, I realized two things (*well, one for sure, but two almost for sure): #1) Unlike Mr. Ramos (who is new to these cars I think), Hernan was NOT getting any cut warnings/lap no-count in the chatbox. Ramos had had several of them by then--"PLP cut warning/lap will not count" I think they read. So whatever HE was doing in that regard, he was overdoing, but Hernan had found the happy medium...and I obviously needed to push it further myself to catch up. #2) I was pretty sure Hernan was running some of the apexes quicker than I was, but without having any way to watch him, I was really only guessing.

After Brette arrived (and was also faster than I was right off), I figured they both knew where the fair line was and I was hoping to follow one or the other close enough I could see it. And then, quite by accident I suddenly found myself sitting inside Brette's cockpit just before he went through the last chicane and I could see from inside how he ran it. Moments later I found a way (key #1 or F1, I think it was) to move into Hernans car too and could see him running it straighter as well...and it didn't take long before I was able to catch them the same way myself (although closing that last tenth to Hernan took all the rest of the time we had left, including almost all of the qual session). I only pipped him--just once--two laps from the end of qual.

At no point did I see any cut warnings for any of the the three of us, btw--not even one--but because Mr. Ramos had got them, I know they are there. It's a matter, then, of finding where that invisible warning line is, I guess.

But as I also said last night, this kind of exploration leaves me bemused at best, and reminds me all over again what was so great about a place like "Old Spa" in rF2. You can drop a wheel there too, or flirt with the edge, but it's a REAL risk if you do--and you aren't just risking having your laptime "not count."
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-05-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    mms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    [...] I'm in the process of a DIY hydraulic mod for both my clutch and brake. Hoping the progression I can obtain there is a bit more to my liking. We'll see when I get it applied.
    As someone who drives a hydraulic brake myself (the load-cell pressure sensor attaches directly to a single-circuit master cylinder in my case), I'm certainly curious to learn more about this. My own is quite good, and entirely dependable, but could still use a few tweaks.
    Jason Whited likes this.

mms
    mms is offline Mihaly Marton

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    [...]"PLP cut warning/lap will not count" I think they read.[...]

[...]At no point did I see any cut warnings for any of the the three of us, btw--not even one--but because Mr. Ramos had got them, I know they are there. It's a matter, then, of finding where that invisible warning line is, I guess. [...]
    That's a mod doing those warnings, I think its called Pit Lane Penalty app:

https://apexonlineracing.com/communi...ndatory.23752/

Did you see one of those messages for your drive-through penalty? For our races this mod should be disabled, as any penalties will be given out by the race review committee...

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    That's a mod doing those warnings, I think its called Pit Lane Penalty app:

https://apexonlineracing.com/communi...ndatory.23752/

Did you see one of those messages for your drive-through penalty? For our races this mod should be disabled, as any penalties will be given out by the race review committee...
    Aha, ok. No, no warnings for anything I had done, or for Brette or Hernan either. Only for Mr. Ramos...maybe four or five times as I recall. Tom didn't mention getting any warning either that I remember (he also got a drive-through).

[EDIT: Thanks for the link. On first glance, PLP looks like a good idea, though there are other ways to combat the problem as well.]
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-05-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

As someone who drives a hydraulic brake myself (the load-cell pressure sensor attaches directly to a single-circuit master cylinder in my case), I'm certainly curious to learn more about this. My own is quite good, and entirely dependable, but could still use a few tweaks.
    I'm going to put a thread together at some point soon-ish to try to get some discussion going on it (and a few other things I want to do)...
    I'm still in the planning phases for the most part.

I'd love to have your input when I do get that together. I'll try to remember to alert you to it so you can contribute there if you want.
    Seems a good way to get this DIY stuff done and I've learned a lot from others while doing some of this, so that and fun to boot. Win, win situation

Jon Uyan is offline Senior Community Leader

PLP is a good idea as long as everyone is required to use it by admin's request. Otherwise those who have it should uninstall it to not to create unneccessary chat messages.
    “My goal is to not be bored by what I do”

Itzhak Perlman

mms
    mms is offline Mihaly Marton

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Uyan View Post
    PLP is a good idea as long as everyone is required to use it by admin's request. Otherwise those who have it should uninstall it to not to create unneccessary chat messages.
    Isn't enough to disable it in the options?
    HeatCAN likes this.

HeatCAN is offline Tom Mountjoy

I do believe I got a msg to serve a drive through.
    Last edited by HeatCAN; 12-06-2017 at 12:27 PM.

-See You On Track!

Hutch is offline Michael Kolar

Aha! Welcome back Brent! I will adjust the season points.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Swordsman is offline Patrice Cote

Something about this post bothered me, and I just realized what it was--went back onto the server to confirm what I THOUGHT I had seen (well...that was what was bothering me--I finally realized it): When I log on (before joining) it says: Jump-start penalty: Drive-Through...

...and then once I'm on it restates it: False Start: Drive-Through (at the bottom of the chat page, left side, under conditions (I think). So that's what it must have been, but I'm also completely certain I didn't let the clutch in until the lights went out. Seems it timed me differently though, or maybe going into second gear about five seconds before and then back to N, then back to 1 just in time...maybe because it had me in second gear (?) it scored that as a false start (even though I didn't move)? Unfortunately, my PC isn't connected now to the cockpit (I move it around depending on workload), so I actually can't try it. But maybe that was what did it?

Grasping at straws, I'll admit, but I'm sure at a loss.
    DOH!!! All evidence point toward a bad server settings by the admin for the jump start. Real sorry about that guys.
    Last edited by Swordsman; 12-05-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    Christopher Snow likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast