Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Villeneuve Results & Discussion

mms
    mms is offline Mihaly Marton

This race was a great surprise for me, for some reason I thought it was planned for next week. I realized that I was wrong only a few hours before the race start, giving me not much time to practice lol. I was hesitating to attend the race, as my pace was pretty far from what I saw on the live timing, but finally decided to go for it and try my best.

The qualify session went pretty well considering the circumstances, I was still almost one second slower than Chris, but was good enough for the fourth spot on the grid.

The race could not start better for me, I had a great start again and the others seemed to struggle in the front, and I found myself again leading the pack. Wasn't really hoping much though as I knew my pace was not up with those who qualified in front of me. But somehow the racing gods smiled on me, and with Christopher's issues and the fight between Hernan and Brette allowed me to build some gap that I was able to keep until the end.

Anyhow, if there was a race that I didn't deserve a win during this season it was this one.
    Christopher Snow likes this.

Brette Brooks is offline New Member - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Hzamora View Post
    Nice racing moments. I did my PB in the qualy but as common Cris was faster. Bad start put me from 2nd to 4th but I knew that maybe my pace could bring me back, it was clear for me that without Cris in the picture the pack of Mihaly, Bret and I will be hot. and it was, The early fight between Bret and I made us lose time to Mihaly, mostly because I bumped Bret in the last chicane, so after that I decided to pit, lost some time passing Patrice and Mike and a couple of laps after, Bret was beside me and the game was on again. From that moment and for the rest of the race we raced and raced nice and hard, a very good and fun battle, so thank to Bret and all of you guys.

This is a good summary of Hernan's and my close racing. We were close enough in lap times, pit strategy (apparently) and consistency that as long as neither of us made a major error the other did not match, we would be close. Although we both made errors, we were pretty even on that score too. Given the length of the course and how easy it is to get separated from others, I consider that a great race experience. Thanks to Mike for hosting and to all for the fun run in Canada. Grats to Mihaly for another winning performance. I thought we might be close for a while. But I made a few errors and you kept pulling way steady.
    Christopher Snow and mms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    Well, a bit of a lonely drive for the most part. Just couldn't hold pace with some of the other cars come race time. Still working on a braking issue I'm having with this sim and haven't got it quite sorted yet. Not sure I'm going to until I move forward on the hydraulic brake mod I'm working on. The "cone" just isn't cutting it. Feels like I go from very little brakes to locking no matter my pressure/bias. But, it's not just this car, it's AC in general.

Still....lonely or not...a fun ride.
    I absolutely love these little cars. They feel really good and are just a barrel of fun to sling around just about any track.

Sorry for leaving so suddenly after the race.
    I had done a full length F1 simulation of Adelaide in the wet yesterday...81 solid laps of that mess. It was earlier in the day, and I thought I was rested up again, but I guess I wore myself out in practice before this one because the last 20 minutes or so was absolutely grueling. Wanted to finish under power, but brain wanted to just stop and let the body rest. Pain in the neck/shoulders/back got pretty severe...so I finished, cut the power and went directly to laying down. I think another 5 minutes and I would have went insane...lol

Anyways, grats to the winner and podium, and all finishers.
    Hope to see you guys again soon for some more good racing.
    Hey Jason, welcome to the Historics series. Considering the circumstances you described leading up to this race, I would say you hung in there pretty good. I'm sure things will work better once you get the brake feedback thing optimized. I see you are already working on something.
    Jason Whited likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Bad night on several levels here, but no time to go into it now. Short version is I had to do a drive through and pitted when I saw my crew--bad idea.

Grats to the podium, and glad the rest of you had fun.
    Sorry to see that happen Chris I was hoping to keep up at this event. Then this happened. Did you ever figure out what the penalty was about? I've never got one in A/C yet. So, not sure how I would serve it if it happened during an event. I guess I'll have to force an error in Practice and see how it plays out just to understand proper warnings and penalty recovery in A/C versus other sims.

Hutch is offline Michael Kolar

Not sure if this was the cause in Chris's case, but jumping the start can incur a drive-through, maybe that was it?

What happened when you engaged the crew, Chris, did it DQ you? Sorry for your troubles in any case!
    Last edited by Hutch; 12-04-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Not sure if this was the cause in Chris's case, but jumping the start can incur a drive-through, maybe that was it?

What happened when you engaged the crew, Chris, did it DQ you? Sorry for your troubles in any case!
    Unsure what the penalty was about, although I was on TS with Tom, who also had one--he was sure he got his at the start, but in my case I'm not sure *but suspect the same.* I didn't notice it for several laps and when I did, I was just approaching the last chicane--it said one lap left to serve, and I thought maybe that would end--that I would DQ--if I crossed the S/F, so I made a split-second decision to pit then.

But it said "Drive Through" and when I came down pitlane my crew is there--not knowing how they work I thought maybe I would DQ if I didn't pit, so I stopped in the box...bad idea, as I said. They start changing tires (which I did NOT have in my strategy), so that's one mystery right there which still lingers. Then I couldn't do anything at all for about a minute and a half--madly clicking the mouse, keys...anything...but he's still got his PIT board down. Eventually something I did (maybe) cleared it and it let me out, but I was almost a full lap behind by then (10th of 10).

After that it showed me no gap at all for quite a while, nor was it showing one to Tom ahead in 9th, and I think maybe it just lost both of us. When he crossed the line it still showed no gap, but when I did it...eventually...showed me at 1:46 back...in 9th, but then tenth, but then ninth. About this point (I was talking to Tom and Brette on TS while this is all going on) I think Tom maybe stepped out, and I didn't think it was timing me either, so I just parked it.

Things I don't know are: Why the penalty in the first place. Jumping? I really doubt it, particularly given that it wouldn't even let me select first gear until very close to the start...and when it did it had me in second! I had just enough time to deselect to N, then back to 1...but now I think this might have happened at Thruxton too when I didn't seem to be in gear at the start.

LOT'S of stutter/freezing and micro-stutter all night last night and at one point Mihaly "teleported" ahead about 50 meters ahead of me. I've not seen that since the rFactor 1 days, and not yet in AC. It also caused me to crash starting the first lap of qual when I seemed to leap ahead myself**

[** wondering if it relates to a "bad internet gateway" down in the Dallas area--I have seen evidence of that for two days now trying to get to [H]ardocp.com]

Anyway, I just don't know why the penalty--99.9% certain I did NOT move at all until all the lights went out, so I was wondering if it thought I cut (?). Which would be funny, given that I was very good about that following Mihaly (who was also good) during the first few laps.

Ramos was receiving some "cut lap/laptime will not count" warnings in practice, but I never got even one myself, so I just DON'T understand much of anything as of this moment. And that's hugely frustrating too, because I have no idea how to fix any of it.

Anyway, it sounds like the rest of you had fun, and that's good. The cars are still a blast, although I'll reserve judgement about this track.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-04-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Swordsman is offline Patrice Cote

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    BTW, I need the real name of "2000gtam" if you'd like your name in the results. If you need any help setting your real name in your profile, just let us know- it will be required at your next race. Thanks!
    2000gtam is our old friend Brent Arthurs (aka BA in TO). He just got a AC a few days ago apparently.
    Hutch likes this.

Swordsman is offline Patrice Cote

About the drive-thru penalty, It's strange since we basically disable all penalty on the server (race review enforces the rules), execpt false start which are teleported to pitlane.
    It may have something to do with the track, first time we've used it.
    Really frustrating to have messed a race this way, I entirely agree.

Next one at VIR is a proven track, no worries there.

Anyhow, got some nice laps with Michael for 20 minutes or so. I was desperate to gain on Hernan and Brette late in the race, but I was seriously lacking pace (again!).
    It seemed counter intuitive to have "slow" road cars on this track, but supporting events at F1 GP showed racing to be good with all those hard braking spots.
    mms likes this.

If I think about other versions of this circuit I've raced over the years, the one I would really like to see (with these cars) is the older, twistier layout that was part of the rF1 "F1-79" mod. Curbs that were steeply sloped, with elevated ground if you sailed off--which would really punish you in fact if you sailed over. With these cars an encounter with very much of any of those curbs would have you up on two wheels--think "Joie Chitwood Special,*" aka "I put extra, tiny wheels out on my door-handles...for those interesting moments"

[See this video at the 4:00 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77U7ewfZgJ8]

Unfortunately, even that '79 mod was far too forgiving of curb-bashing: The one thing you did NOT do in a ground-effect car was go up and over curbs...because even a single instance of that could damage your skirts (thereby ruining your ground-effect not only where you had just done it, but everywhere after too).

One of my big gripes about modern racing...and a big part of why I no longer follow F1 is that the courses--particularly chicanes---are largely a cutting contest, and it seems every time someone finds a way to abuse it, they come along the next year and pave it...or lay down grating or somesuch to make it even worse the next year. You can't really compare laptimes from one season to next any more in part because of this ongoing erosion...and I really lost interest quite a while back partly because of this. And then they dumb things down even more by widening a corner like Rascasse (Monaco)...because apparently a seven-time World Champion can't...quite...turn...his...car...sharply...enoug h...(to make it all the way around).... Never mind that F1 cars have been making it around Rascasse since the 50's at least. Blech!

NASCAR finds it own way to bend sensibility too: Witness the way the entire field consistently exits "The Loop" at Watkins Glen....

====

I'd better stop ranting now--my handlers are here...and they have they have brought the straight-jacket again. :P
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-05-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    mms and Brette Brooks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    About the drive-thru penalty, It's strange since we basically disable all penalty on the server (race review enforces the rules), execpt false start which are teleported to pitlane.
    It may have something to do with the track, first time we've used it.
    Really frustrating to have messed a race this way, I entirely agree.

Next one at VIR is a proven track, no worries there.

Anyhow, got some nice laps with Michael for 20 minutes or so. I was desperate to gain on Hernan and Brette late in the race, but I was seriously lacking pace (again!).
    It seemed counter intuitive to have "slow" road cars on this track, but supporting events at F1 GP showed racing to be good with all those hard braking spots.
    Something about this post bothered me, and I just realized what it was--went back onto the server to confirm what I THOUGHT I had seen (well...that was what was bothering me--I finally realized it): When I log on (before joining) it says: Jump-start penalty: Drive-Through...

...and then once I'm on it restates it: False Start: Drive-Through (at the bottom of the chat page, left side, under conditions (I think). So that's what it must have been, but I'm also completely certain I didn't let the clutch in until the lights went out. Seems it timed me differently though, or maybe going into second gear about five seconds before and then back to N, then back to 1 just in time...maybe because it had me in second gear (?) it scored that as a false start (even though I didn't move)? Unfortunately, my PC isn't connected now to the cockpit (I move it around depending on workload), so I actually can't try it. But maybe that was what did it?

Grasping at straws, I'll admit, but I'm sure at a loss.
    mms likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast