Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Thruxton Results & Discussion

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Thanks, guys. These really are a lot of fun, and this time I hope to get after the next circuit (which I've never seen) earlier than I did with Thruxton. Got away with that because I already knew Thruxton from back in the rF1 days.

Maybe even later today--I'm trying to get a Pimax 4K VR headset working here, and AC might be a good candidate for it, once I get it working in Steam. If I get an open time-window, I might even try hosting a practice session (which I haven't done in years) if our host server isn't up and if I do, I'll post here before starting it up. It'll be a US evening, as with our race time of day....

Well, actually I'll post in the Ahvenisto thread.
    kcheeb, mms and Brette Brooks like this.

Rhino is offline Ray Nelson

I have my own way of critiquing my races these days. First, did I enjoy driving...check. Did I see other cars on track for more than a few laps...check- at least up until I decided to pit and take tires at the mid-point. Not sure taking tires helped because my laptimes the second half of the race didn't seem to parallel the first half. Did I keep it on track - mostly check, All but two laps. One I slid off and did my best Farmer Bob impersonation quite the stretch of acreage. Fortunately I did it at a point where no walls intervened. I did have one lap that had me in the wall. Finally, did I somehow manage to stay on the lead lap?...checkeroo. Of course this is more a function of lap length than my driving skill, so my vote is always run on tracks with laptimes of at least 1:30, longer if possible. Oh, and a PS, since there were only 8 drivers I managed another Top Ten performance, my sponsors are ecstatic....
    Grats to the folks at the far end of the field and to the Hutchster for herding this vagabond group....

Hutch is offline Michael Kolar

@Chris, the server is up; it may come down from time to time on the nights of other events, but should be up most nights.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Thank you. Yeah Hernan and I were on a few minutes ago (10-11 PM MST).

Really sorry to see you go out like that Michael, particularly given the work you have put in on this. Hoping you have a much longer race this next time.

BTW, is that you there in what looks like a 3-series BMW? Maybe auto-crossing it? I'm curious, as I have a similar car here (2003 330xi)--my daily driver, and also dark blue.

Hzamora is offline Hernán Zamora

Mr. Kolar have a vast history with that car
    Hutch likes this.

@ Chris, yes that’s me in my ‘02 330 coupe, on track at Watkins Glen. I just sold that car after 9 years, *sniff*, I miss it. I also had an ‘03 Xi 5spd which my kids drove in high school, quite the little tank in bad weather. I’m currently BMW-less for the first time in a long time, working on restoring my lifelong project ‘66 Mustang which should fund the next one when completed.

Very cool. Was that blue 330 4WD or 2WD?

[I should have realized those guardrails were blue...].

I ask because I'm toying with the idea of auto-crossing my own Xi, or with turning the Boxster into a track (or auto-X) car--the latter has a borked folding-top mechanism right now anyway, so it's a potential candidate for fitting a full roll-cage...but the BMW is a lot more "available" right now too. Not that I really have the time...but I like to kibitz it, if nothing else.

The coupe was 2WD, and was a blast for autox and track. I never drove the Xi in anger. Everything ok with your halfshafts and transfer case? Was a weak point on my Xi, source of various clunks and vibrations over its lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    The coupe was 2WD, and was a blast for autox and track. I never drove the Xi in anger. Everything ok with your halfshafts and transfer case? Was a weak point on my Xi, source of various clunks and vibrations over its lifetime.
    Well, there are no clunking noises and the halfshafts are ok...now...

...after replacing both of them last year. I went in for rear brakes and I think my local dealer might have seen me (and maybe my wallet) coming.

My feeling is the Xi would probably be pushier than the 2WD, which isn't necessarily bad for me, as I tend to set up my cars that way I think. But it also is the "daily driver" and the old adage says: "Don't race the family car."

So, as yet, it's still just an idea.
    Hutch likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12