Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hockenheim Results & Discussion

Hutch is offline Michael Kolar

Default Hockenheim Results & Discussion

Last edited by Hutch; 10-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    Brette Brooks likes this.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Results and Season Standings will be posted tomorrow night...

Hzamora is offline Hernán Zamora

Weird race for me, not enough practice time. First lap was bad, 2 contacts with Bret, sorry for that, the first one was just a small one, the second one I went to the inside ad he closed the door, I donīt know if he didnīt see me but it was hard contact, he went out of track so I decided to wait for him, and I pitted too that same lap. The rest of the race I was completely alone.

mms
    mms is online now Mihaly Marton

This was not my race. I had a good lap time during the qualify session enough for the second place on the grid, but it was far from Christopher's time, I needed a miracle to have any chance to win the race. I had a good start though and I got a small lead, I saw Chris and Michael fighting for the second spot. This allowed me to increase the gap, but soon I saw Chris closing in with every lap. Finally he got really close in the final turns, I thought his car was still behind me so I turned in, resulting in a contact. After watching the replay I'd call it a racing incident.

For the mid-race I was mostly fighting with the car and track, then I was going for the pit, the weirdest one I had so far: somehow I missed the spot, so I had to reverse, then when exiting I hit an invisible extension to the wall, and...but here's what it looked like:

For the remaining laps I was a bit confused, not sure who have pitted and who did not yet, glad that finally got the second place.
    Christopher Snow likes this.

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hzamora View Post
    Weird race for me, not enough practice time. First lap was bad, 2 contacts with Bret, sorry for that, the first one was just a small one, the second one I went to the inside ad he closed the door, I donīt know if he didnīt see me but it was hard contact, he went out of track so I decided to wait for him, and I pitted too that same lap. The rest of the race I was completely alone.
    Sorry for delay responding. I did not have a complete replay locally to review these contacts with Hernan. Although I did figure out how to install and review the server replay, I was busy last night with the fun run at Fuji, and little spare time. My recollection was a little different than what I saw in the replay. So I am glad I reviewed the replay first.

I too did not have a lot of practice either and was still getting comfortable pushing the car at this track, especially on race fuel. During practice, there were a few turns where I went off going too deep for my confidence with the car and myself. One was the turn where Hernan first tap me from the rear. Another was the loop in the stadium infield. It appears I was cautious braking early not to spin myself out on the first lap. Apparently Hernan was more confident pushing deep there, thus the contact. The second one was similar, but more extreme in result. Apparently my recovery from the first tap threw off my control in the turn leading into the stadium (not sure why). I went wide drivers left into the infield and did my best to get back on track quickly. I almost overshot getting back online and lost a lot of momentum, in hindsight. The last time I checked the mirrors, was getting back on track and thought I had the next turn well in hand. But, I probably over reacted reeling the car back into control, because the braking point looked too early for the momentum I had at that point. Thus creating a slowing moving car in Hernan's path. The result was bad for both us. Hernan lost his momentum and I spun off in the grass and we both lost time... just what I was trying to avoid by being cautious on the brakes early.

Apologies to Hernan on that incident, and thanks much for waiting up! If I had it to do over, I would try harder not to go off track so easily, and yield to anyone real close coming back on track. If this car has a horn, I'll get along side anyone waiting and honk it so we can go at it fender to fender. In retrospect, I probably should have pitted after that also. It might have worked out better at the finish. I can't say I won't be careful on future opening laps. But I hope to get more confident with more seat time in this car and the A/C sim.

Thanks to Patrice for the baseline setup to drive! Without it, I might still be fish tailing thru many turns.

What is everyone's preferred way to manage pit stop strategy in car during the race? Are you using a default app., or a third party app.? I need to familiarize myself more with the best pit options.

Finally thanks to Michael for running a good series. You always post screenshots faster than any admin. I know. Is there some way to move the camera around the car at different angles manually during replay? The canned camera angles seem to favor looking forward only, and don't vary much in POV.

@Brette, I usually use the trackside cameras, then pause and go into "photo mode". I'm not sure if there are controls for a swingcam, there might be...

I was a little surprised how strung out we wound up after our experience at Croft; I guess maybe we were more consistent so there wasn't as much door rubbing. Still I spent a lot of time with one car or another on my horizon. I got a good launch at the start and wound up between Mihaly and Chris. Chris was promptly on my bumper, and it was clear I wasn't on the same pace, so I didn't hold him up long. The position bar seemed confused by the pit sequence, so I was uncertain about where I was going to wind up until right at the end. Looking forward to the next one, this car is such a blast.

mms

I'm using the default app, it works well.

As for the camera, you can press F5 and move the camera around with your mouse.
    Brette Brooks likes this.

Swordsman is offline Patrice Cote

There was a lot of action on my end, sweating a lot (again!).
    Like I mentioned after the race, I had a blast with Ray for much of the race, even after the pitstops.

I was fast in some area, but slow elsewhere, I never quite get a good flying lap here. My pace got better with many laps but that doesn't matter much when you make 2-3 costly mistakes. I ended up (unsuccessfully) chasing down Brette after his late stop.

Sorry Mihaly or Chris (not sure) I did not get out of the way under blue flag quickly in the closing laps, I was fighting for a position.

Already thinking about Thruxton!
    Christopher Snow likes this.

mms

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    There was a lot of action on my end, sweating a lot (again!).
    Like I mentioned after the race, I had a blast with Ray for much of the race, even after the pitstops.

I was fast in some area, but slow elsewhere, I never quite get a good flying lap here. My pace got better with many laps but that doesn't matter much when you make 2-3 costly mistakes. I ended up (unsuccessfully) chasing down Brette after his late stop.

Sorry Mihaly or Chris (not sure) I did not get out of the way under blue flag quickly in the closing laps, I was fighting for a position.

Already thinking about Thruxton!
    It was me, and no worries, I was a bit confused, wasn't sure whether Brette was in front of me or behind a lap, that was the only reason I pushed the pass, if I was sure he was a lap behind I would have not pushed.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    [...] Already thinking about Thruxton!
    Me too! I had so much fun there that I wanted to get some laps in at Thruxton (used to like that place quite a lot in rF1), but it's taken a day or two for the track to go up. I'll get after it once we run Road Atlanta tomorrow night...if not sooner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast