• 1 Post By Hutch
  • 2 Post By Phil E
  • 2 Post By Jason Whited
  • 1 Post By Jason Whited
  • 3 Post By Swordsman

Thread: Historics Spring Season Race 1 - May 20 - Goodwood

Hutch is offline Michael Kolar

Default Historics Spring Season Race 1 - May 20 - Goodwood

Join us on Sunday May 20 for the first event in the Historics Spring Season - Goodwood.

We'll get out in front of this year's Festival Of Speed in style, driving Fangio's own Maserati 250F.

This event will be standing start. AC now allows gear selection before the green, but be aware that it also allows (and penalizes) false starts! So don't go before the green!

We will run 1x fuel, and pits stops are not required.

The server is set for 2 minutes between the Qualifying session expiring and the start of the race. Be sure to check the remaining time when the session advances so as not to get caught out.

The Orange Zone for this event will be through Madgewick (T1).

Download the track here

Race Schedule
    Practice: 8-8:45 p.m. Central Time (US) - 45 min
    Qualify: 8:45-9:00 p.m. Central Time (US) 15 min
    Warmup: 9:00-9:05 p.m. Central Time (US) - 5 min
    Race: 9:05 p.m. Central Time (US) - 60 min

Note that AC supports timed races, so the lap count will not be pre-determined.

Password and server connection information here

Join us on Teamspeak for voice chat. Connection information here

All CMS Rules and Regulations are in affect for this series.
    davidan, Phil E and Jason Whited like this.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Last edited by Hutch; 05-13-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    Jason Whited likes this.

Phil E is offline CMS Admin-at-large

Very interesting and challenging car to drive. You have to handle it very differently than any kind of modern car.

The word "pilot" comes to mind- much less in control of the car than more modern machines, the car will go where it wants to go - the trick is to make *it* want to go where *you* want it to go!

Still, I love the big wheel, the view, the sound- quite a ride! I do think it feels more balanced than it used to, not crushed by understeer, with predictable oversteer available on the throttle.
    Last edited by Hutch; 05-13-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Phil E is offline CMS Admin-at-large

They guy in the video is not sawing the wheel like I seem to have to!

The perfect corner in one of these is
    Brake! or at least press the pedal but do not expect much other than tire squeal
    Fling the car toward the apex. you will do this miles before you actually get to the apex
    Gas as to approach the apex, now hold on cowboy because this is where things get real interesting
    Swordsman and Hutch like this.

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Took this beast for a spin last night.
    This thing is a barrel of fun!

Default setup is not so bad and the car is wholly driveable on it. A few tweaks and she'll turn in a bit better and go a bit faster, but minimal work to be up to pace it seems.
    Definitely a car to perfect the "slow in, fast out" technique...because that's basically the only way to be fast in these things.
    Brakes are....well, they're there (and they beat the hell out of the brakes on some even older cars I've driven in sims...like that '38 something 'nother barrel with wheels I drove not long ago. Want something without brakes? Take that thing for a spin and you'll come back to these thinking they have superb brakes!

Rim size differences will probably have most sawing a bit more than what you'd see from the real world footage, though I personally don't feel like I'm sawing away at it all that much (fine balance here between too much input and not enough it seems) So, unless one has a massive rim like this car featured, expect that...

Definitely be racing these!
    Got a 500 miler at Indy Sunday. I'll be spent come race time (that is, IF I make it those 500 miles!) but I wouldn't miss this for much of anything after spending a bit of time in this car.
    Swordsman and Rhino like this.

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    Took this beast for a spin last night.
    This thing is a barrel of fun!

Default setup is not so bad and the car is wholly driveable on it. A few tweaks and she'll turn in a bit better and go a bit faster, but minimal work to be up to pace it seems.

Definitely a car to perfect the "slow in, fast out" technique...because that's basically the only way to be fast in these things.
    Brakes are....well, they're there (and they beat the hell out of the brakes on some even older cars I've driven in sims...like that '38 something 'nother barrel with wheels I drove not long ago.

Rim size differences will probably have most sawing a bit more than what you'd see from the real world footage, though I personally don't feel like I'm sawing away at it all that much (fine balance here between too much input and not enough it seems) So, unless one has a massive rim like this car featured, expect that...

Definitely be racing these!
    Totally agree on the slow in - fast out observation Jason. I took them for a spin on the server today and really like the challenge and reward proposition. Even the sound is unique. If they were not drive able with some tweaks I would not feel the same. Its funny that I have seen them many times in historic racing video and photos. But they seem even longer and narrower once I took look at my own replay sliding around Goodwood. And yea.. that steering wheel looks like a wooden Bus Driving wheel mounted horizontal.

Hope others can make the Goodwood race.

Good luck on that Indy 500 run, Jason.

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Brette Brooks View Post
    Good luck on that Indy 500 run, Jason.
    Thanks, Brette. Lower-ish powered car for Indy for me, so no real shot at the front runners unless something major happens. Top 10 would be a win here...heck, just getting the old McLaren M16B on grid was a victory in itself (only one to put one on grid, fyi )

And yea.. that steering wheel looks like a wooden Bus Driving wheel mounted horizontal.
    Very little room between the windscreen (mostly useless as the driver is well above that supposed "screen") and the drivers hands. Seems like quite a cramped fit in that thing.
    ...it's a race car, with the steering of a tractor. Not even a modern tractor either, more like a tractor about the same era as the car...lol.
    If my ole John Deere could do a buck twenty, I'm pretty sure this car is about what it would feel like to drive it (ignoring the center of gravity and all that..hehe) They're almost one in the same and every time I get in a car like this I feel like I'm on that old tractor, just faster

My problem is...I just can't seem to focus in enough to go faster, properly...because all I ever get done is sliding the car around like it's a drift race. I try to stop myself, but I can't...it's just so much damned fun!
    Plus, it's a real eye opener when one realizes how much car control one can gain over ALL cars by being handy with these old cars. Learning to handle these older cars has increased my car control 10 fold in all cars, even those with very little to no relation to the way this thing handles.
    These things are slow enough that there is some time to make decisions and also to understand A makes B happen and B makes C happen and etc etc etc. Handy training tool, these old cars, often overlooked by those seeking ways to be faster, to their own detriment.

Now I see Patrice has bested my lap...so, after work today I have to remedy that little "problem"
    Swordsman likes this.

Swordsman is offline Patrice Cote

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    Now I see Patrice has bested my lap...so, after work today I have to remedy that little "problem"
    I'm sure you will

I must remember not to drift all the way around! This Goodwood version is nothing less than fantastic with this car. Got a big grin on my face when I can manage to shoot thru Woodcote double apex sliding on the edge of disaster for like 5 seconds. Levant corner combo is pretty cool too when it's done right. Come to think of it, every corner is an adventure.
    Last edited by Swordsman; 05-18-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Swordsman is offline Patrice Cote

not sure I'll make it back home in time guys. kepping fingers crossed...