Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: CMS DRCC S4E8: Powys Rally

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

Default CMS DRCC S4E8: Powys Rally

The last rally of the championship season is upon us! Here we head to Wales for a big 16 stage event to cap off four months of rallying.

Good luck to all!

Event ID: 183513

Results:

A big rally in Wales is always a good way to wrap up a season of rallying, lets see how everyone fared!

Overall

The overall rally win, once again went to Daniel Ort who led the rally from the first stage to the last, taking 11 stage wins along the way. In second place, Ole Marius Myrvold scored four stage wins, and due to Daniel being ineligible for points because of car selection rules, Ole Marius took the maximum points for this round. His teammate finished right behind him, Dag Inge Hansen's third place finish put a big RMI Motorsport stamp on the event.

Historic

Ismail Yakubu had nothing to lose in this event, having wrapped up the title on the previous event, and it was business as usual for him as he took another rally win in the historic class in the Opel Kadett. Lutz Müller was not far behind however and took the second place spot in an Opel as well. In third, Peter G. rounded out the podium, driving the Fiat 131 into third place.

Driver Classes

Ole Marius Myrvold took the win in the CMSRC-1 class, his second win in this driver class. Shocking no one, Troy Dalton made it 8 for 8, his win in CMSRC-3 made it a clean sweep for the season. The under-attended CMSRC-2 had no drivers that finished the rally this week.

Team

RMI Motorsport knew what they needed to do in order to take the top spot of the championship, and they executed accordingly. With a second place finish by Ole Marius Myrvold (25 points) and a third place finish by Dag Inge Hansen (22 points), they were able to take the maximum 47 team points due to the rally leader being ineligible for points. This is the first time a team has taken maximum points this season, so they were clearly aiming for the championship.

Team Fate had a bit of bad luck this week, and whether it was a timing issue, mysterious penalty from the local organizers, or some other issue, Troy Dalton took a 30 second hit that left him in 7th overall (15 points). Sean Jordan's 9th place finish (13 points) brought the team to 28 points total.

A note from the sanctioning body

In the spirit of transparency, I wanted to address the issue Troy ran into with timing and scoring. As he stated in his write up, there was an issue with his time on SS15 where he felt his actual time was 30 seconds faster than the time that was given, as he had mentally noted his stage time was only a few seconds off his PB for the stage but was given a much slower time with no explanation. He relayed this to me, and even if it wasn't his intent, I treated it as a formal protest as it had the ability to change the outcome of the championship.

Unfortunately I have very little visibility into what happens on course. I don't get stage times, split times, or any indication of penalties. Whether they are car resets, stage cuts, repair overtime, jump start, tire changes, etc. I have no way of knowing if there was a penalty on or before a stage. I have seen enough oddness in Racenet and have been racing with Troy long enough where I personally believe him, however as "race director" I simply don't have the tools I need to resolve his claim either way. So in the interest of fairness to all the competitors, I have to treat the time given by Racenet as the official time.

Standings after round 8

Last edited by enamelizer; 05-05-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Walter Röhrl is offline Lutz Müller

Ok, if I didn't miscalculate, Ismail is through on P1 - Respect Smuggy!!!!

But for the remaining places on the podium there are trex, Jamie and me with only 5 points separating us before we head to Wales

Who will set the first times and will someone strike back on the last hour?? One's for sure, it will be thrilling guys!!!!

wheeler is offline Steen Nielsen

"I'm singing in the rain..." - and cursing my own stupidity! I did the first stages tonight, and I was even slower than normal. The throttle and brake response was sluggish and the car just felt weird. Welsh mud felt even less grippy than Scandinavian snow! And then - booom - it dawned on me what could be wrong: Yesterday I replaced my T500 F1 rim with a GT rim. I had to remap the buttons, but didn't think it would change steering and pedal responses. WRONG! Suddenly dead zones on all axis were reintroduced! Arghhhh!!!! That has been fixed now, so I hope for a slight improvement for the rest of the rally.
    Steen Nielsen (aka. wheeler)

Tom Walkinshaw: "When black goes to green, you are in troubles..."

Did some training yesterday on the first 4 stages - the long ones.
    Well, a RWD car in rainy conditions is so hard to control (for me) and I have a feeling that I'm very slow. My stage times on SS1 varied from 6:47 to 6:35 and it's very hard to do these 4 stages at one sitting after a hard day of work - I never get to drive on the weekend.
    Planing to start the rally on wednesday, let's see how the day at work will be...
    enamelizer and D69-inge like this.

Evilsmurf is offline Jamie McDonald

I'll try not to bin it this time
    enamelizer and Walter Röhrl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilsmurf View Post
    I'll try not to bin it this time
    I'll start tonight Jamie, at about 7pm (UTC +1) - come and join the battle live
    Of course all ll others are "invited", too
    Troy Dalton and Evilsmurf like this.

..:: RAIN REPORT ::..

Gentlemen, the battle for the podium has begun

Started into the last rally of the championship yesterday - read here what happened in the woods of Wales...

SS1 - River Severn Valley:
    After doing some training I was quite confident about my times, as trex already had done the first 4 stages. Drove every stage once and directly heraded towards Wales to enter the competition...
    First stage I was very nervous and all the confidence suddenly had gone. Made no mistake and brought the car safely back home - 14s slower than my PB under same conditions but 6s faster than trex.

SS2 - Sweet Lamb:
    Same thing as on the first stage - no confidence, didn't get into the rhythm and in the end simply to slow! Despite I made no mistakes it just felt not good...lost my 6 s on trex.

SS3 - Geufron Forest:
    Slowly I found the confidence to go faster and I felt some kind of rhythm...No mistakes on that stage, but still not satifsied about how things went on this rally so far...+3s on trex.

SS4 - Bronfelden:
    This stage saw me driving a nice and clean run. I made another 9s on trex, but how about Jamie, Ismail and maybe Mr. C ??!! We'll see...

..:: OVERCAST OVERTURE ::..

As my time maybe limited the next week and I also have to do a bit of training for the RDRC I decided to do another 6 stages after a short shower and a HB

SS5 - Bidno Moorland Reverse:
    With a washed car I started into stage 5...and directly loved the conditions as the rain had gone. The car felt a lot better than in rainy conditions but in the last sector I had a spin - luckily it didn't cost me that much as I did a clean 360° spin and directly continued the rally... So only 5s slower than my PB.

SS6 - Pant Mawr Reverse:
    This was the first stage of the rally where both, car and driver, felt good & fast. If it really was a good time, well, time will tell...

SS7 - Sweet Lamb:
    The lamb again...this time clean & fast. Made it 11s faster than in the rain...confidence returned at last..

SS8 - Pant Mawr:
    Keep the car in the middle of the road in the woods...keep the car in the middle of the road in the woods...keep the car in the middle of the road in the woods...otherwise you'll

...roll it over!!!! Yes, it happened again! Just when I began to like the stages at Wales, the car slid a bit too much through a corner on this narrow road through the woods and rolled over. Luckily, again, it was a quick roll without major damage and I could continue quite fast... The rest of the stage saw me fighting to get my confidence back without risking to much!

SS9 - Geufron Forest:
    Last stage of the day. Car dirty again so I used the stage-included car wash...

...just to have it dirty again some corners later...

The stage went good, 7s faster than under rainy conditions. Although it felt sooooo much faster... Ah, the MIL went on again, of course! Opel never built good engines...
    Finally I have to say, that my fear of the welsh stages has nearly completely gone and yes, it makes fun "flying" over this narrow and bumpy roads.

The car is now at the service park until next week - I hope the historic guys have joined the rally then...it won't be easy guys!
    Damage looks not too bad so far...

D69-inge is offline Dag Inge Hansen

Did the first four stages in rainy Wales. At the beginning of this rally I couldn't get the feeling right, so I went into setup-mode and tried to get stability into the Focus. Haven't had much practice with this car here, so I had to learn a lesson first. So frustration was changing into excitement when I found out. It helped so that I could get through the first stages without any incidences. Well, only touched the sides in the middle of stage two and four, thats all. Not too fast for winning maybe, but I'm definitely faster than the previous season with my winning BMW E30 M3.

wheeler is offline Steen Nielsen

Well, getting your hardware settings right does improve things - a little bit... I am definitely still Captain Slow. And I will choose this place as my favorite hate rally!

After completing day two, I played around with settings in offline mode: I reduced my steering lock from 800 to 600 deg (T500 with F1 rim). Normally I prefer a low steering lock, but back when I chose this, Dirt was incredibly twitchy. For me, it seems to be better now with 600 deg. I always use cockpit view when I simrace, but I tried the "bonnet view" where you are sitting right behind the windshield. This also seems to feel better. My questions are: a) What steering lock do you use? b) Point of view?
    D69-inge likes this.
    Steen Nielsen (aka. wheeler)

Tom Walkinshaw: "When black goes to green, you are in troubles..."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast