Like Tree21Likes
  • 12 Post By davidan
  • 4 Post By Don Fryman
  • 5 Post By DaveS

Thread: Reminder about Racing Etiquette in the Fun Series

davidan is offline David Anderson

Exclamation Reminder about Racing Etiquette in the Fun Series

Hi Everyone.

I felt it appropriate to post a note as a reminder that even though our fun series events are for fun and laughs, and the most relaxed setting for racing at CMS, we all still need to drive with respect, and the etiquette that we'd expect to be given on the track ourselves. In our Fun Series race tonight in the F3 cars at Poznan I noticed quite a bit of over aggressive driving and risky maneuvers from more than a few drivers being made on the first lap or two. Let's remember that our actions impact others -- and we should treat these events as an opportunity to have fun but don't let the fun become reckless.

Part of the issue is a pure matter of scale. We have a lot of interest in rFactor 2 and our fun series right now, and there are more drivers on the track, which is a good thing. With that comes new faces, personalities, and time needed to get used to racing with each other. So please, do us all a favor and take a deep breath before you push the throttle on the next race start, and think about facilitating a clean start, for the benefit of the group as a whole, not personal gain. It really makes it a lot better for everyone.

David

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Well said David!!
    And really it's not just the start, we need to be extra careful the first lap or two giving each other enough room to race until the field spreads out and everybody finds their spot.

Don

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

lemming77 is offline April Dillon

Even after the first few laps, we only have a short time to relax before the blue flags come out and we have to get back on our toes. With the massive speed difference we had at Poznan tonight, this becomes even more crucial (almost 6 seconds per lap among the finishers).

I hope no one feels I've caused them any trouble!
    - April Dillon, #314

Maximark is offline Banned

Got rear ended twice in first two laps. Repaired the car but it was still a little off.
    The car wiggled coming out of one of the turns and I hit Jerry or John can't remember who, sorry about that.
    I decided to park it after that. Enjoyed watching some good races on track but saw a lot of carnage as well.

DaveS is offline Dave Slee

I think the most important thing we all have to remember with these open wheel cars is "that they are open wheel cars". We don't have fenders to protect the wheels and suspension so you need to be more aware as to where the other drivers are around you. The mirrors on these things are terrible and the virtual mirrors aren't much better so if you're trying to pass someone just be aware that they might not be able to see you if you are coming up on them from either side of their car so you're passing attempt could take the two of you out.

Remember - It's the overtaking cars responsibility to make a clean pass
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

lemming77 is offline April Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Remember - It's the overtaking cars responsibility to make a clean pass
    Although I agree on this, I'd like to remind lapped traffic that there is nothing to gain through running two wide through several corners with the race leader. You're not racing for position, so don't do anything we might both regret!
    - April Dillon, #314

jerrymcc is offline Jerry McComas

Quote Originally Posted by Maximark View Post
    Got rear ended twice in first two laps. Repaired the car but it was still a little off.
    The car wiggled coming out of one of the turns and I hit Jerry or John can't remember who, sorry about that.
    I decided to park it after that. Enjoyed watching some good races on track but saw a lot of carnage as well.
    Yes, Mark you took me out, LOL. I think you owe me a skin for my car. Something nice, you know what I like, LOL.

NP actually, these cars are pretty skittish, and it's hard to hold a line. Plus, cold tires and off line/off track are modeled pretty well in rF2, so staying in the groove and being smooth is rewarded.

Timbo48 is offline Junior Member

Hi guys, just joined and wanted to practice online, rFactor. looks like I need a password.

Phil E is offline CMS Admin-at-large

Fill out a new member profile, and an Admin will approve you beyond junior member. Then you can see the passwords for the servers.